Should a child not progressing in School be provided with a tutor at free of cost for the parent?

A home tutor to help with homework.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• First, an IEP is for children with behavioral or mental health issues, not for a child that isn't progressing. An IEP is an Individual Educational Plan and the child has to be diagnosised with some kind of disroder. If a child has a medical condition they have a 504 Plan. If a child has just ADD/ADHD they have an ADEP. Each of the plans list specific, attainable and measurable goals that the child will work to accomplish. It lists what the teacher and other staff members will do to help the child and it lists what the parents will do to help the child meet their goals. They are very specific and can be changed throughout the school year as things change or come up.

Second, the school should only provide the tutor if it is their fault the child isn't progressing. If it is because the child and parents aren't doing what they should be, then it is all on the parents. If a child isn't progressing, the school should evaluate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't know any school or teacher that would deny a student extra help if the student asks for it. But a free tutor no. A parent needs to help children also. It should not just be the schools responsibility to teacher your child. Sit down with them and help. What are you doing while your child is struggling?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• A free tutor no way. They are only obligated to provide help at school. If the child needs additional help the parents should cut back and pay for their own tutor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• They usually put kids like that on an IEP which is kind of the same thing as a free tutor only homework is done at home
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 12:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well, I have to say with the debt our country(kids) are carrying...how can the school/state/government provide that free service for us as kids and parents? It's probably only in our dream. Self-help is the only way you can do...either you have extra money to hire one or you be the tutor. So many school are shut down and classes are bigger than ever. It's sure that our kids is having hard time at school and look further this is gonna be a challenge for our kids to face their futures. Sometims I really don't know what's the future holds for our kids but we have to do the best we can now for our kids.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Absolutely not.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• no. the parent can sit down and help her child!! besides if you ask the teaches she will stay with the child. how old is the child anyways?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• NO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i would need a free tutor for myself to be able to help my child with his/her homework because I don't remember how to do half the crap they are learning right now. And I am of absolute no help if I don't even understand it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• well....my daughter is in a title 1 school that has her autism program...its not just that its a poor minority area.....anyways.....this is the 2nd year they have offered free tutoring for all students there....my daughter goes to 'sylvans learning center and gets tutoring for math...I think free is wonderful....check with your school district.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009