Would you read my story?

Please read a story about my dog, and leave comment. This is not a contest, nothing like that. I just want to get the word out so nobody has a sad ending!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2143975/canine_bloat_gastric_dilitation_and.html?cat=53

romanceparty4u

Asked by romanceparty4u at 12:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pets

• My late best friend Sheila, a Queensland Heeler, died from this. No signs of anything wrong and then just super sick. She couldn't walk, kept heaving and was severely bloated. We have no after hours vets in my small town and by the time we finally got ahold of one she was gone. The vet sadly explained that it was "bloat" and that it was usually fatal. NOW I know what to look for. I hope other dog Mommies check this out !
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 1:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Also-The vet had asked if Sheila had eaten any potatoes because supposedly they can contribute to bloat. So remember, NO potatoes for puppies!!!
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 1:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have had a number of large-breed dogs die from gastric torsion, a.k.a bloat. If you don't get them medical treatment very quickly, the condition is nearly always fatal, and even if you do manage to save them, their quality of life is never the same.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• There is a procedure your vet can (and hopefully did) do while the abdomen is open. It's called a gastropexy, and essentially tacks your dog's stomach to its abdominal wall. While this procedure will not prevent bloat, it can prevent the torsion that sometimes follows, which can literally be the difference between life and death. I had it done in both my dogs, and I am positive it saved my boy Dewey's life on several occaisions.

Dewey started bloating at 11 1/2. He had a degenerative neuropathy, which affected his vagus nerve and slowed his digestion. He was also unable to drink water without swallowing air. He was taken to the vet for bloat four times, and we put him down after the fourth. Because of the gastropexy, they just needed to pass a tube into his stomach to "deflate" him.

I will never have a large breed dog again without having a gastropexy done while the dog is still young. It's well worth the money.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 11:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009