Does walking at the end of pregnancy really help the baby drop??

My doctor told me to walk to help the baby drop, he is a very good doctor and very seasoned in his field but I always felt like walking during pregnancy was an old wives tale.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if all else fails it'll help you during labor. but it did help me i walked two days in a row and went into labor the second day.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Walking definitely helps because with my first pregnancy I worked two jobs and had no vehicle so I walked everywhere I had to go. Needless to say I did a whole lot of walking, not only did it keep me fit but labor was a breeze. Only 7hrs, and they induced early because medical reasons. I think labor would have been much harder and longer if I hadn't of walked so much.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think walking is what put me into labor with my first two pregnancies. It was always after a long day of walking and then I was in labor later that day. I plan on getting out and walking this weekend with this one too since today is my actual due date and no baby yet. Good luck to you!
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• yes labor put me into labor twice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Some say yes, some say no. I have one friend who swears by walking and doing squats. And then I have lots of friends who say it doesn't make a lick of difference. I tend to fall into that category, but I walk anyway. It doesn't do any harm and it keeps you in shape for labor.

Also, sorry, but LOL to piwife's typo. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Like anything else~ it *might* help.
    IF the baby was ready to descend, a little walking could help to gentle wriggle baby downward.

This is also why laboring & delivering upright is so helpful. Working with gravity is how our pregnant-birthing bodies are designed!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009