What would you do?

My DD is in 10th grade at a Catholic high school. This is a very small school, more like a large family. This year a new boy in 9th grade decided he liked my DD. He is very sweet and they became friends at school...nothing more. Well, another 10th grader in my DD's art class has a crush on this boy. On the second day of school the class was there waiting for the teacher to come in. This girl called my DD's name..which she ignored. She called again, louder and threw a pencil at her. My DD looked in her direction and the girl said "Hey Hope, your mom stands on a street corner to raise money for your tuition!" I asked her if the class laughed and thankfully she said no everone kind of looked at this girl like she was dumb. 2nd day of school. I don't want to be a cry baby mom...but now this girl won't leave her alone. Should I call school? I don't want to make it worse for my DD, but that is not right!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most schools are taking bullying pretty seriously. I have had problems with my son more than any of my kids but a quick phone call to the school usually stops whatever is going on in a hurry. Dont get me wrong, my son is a big boy, but I have taught him to NOT fight and to resolve things as nicely as possible. Most of the time the bullying doesnt stop until either you make a phone call or your DD puts her foot down and calls the girl out. Go ahead and call the school, you arent being over anything, you are handling the situation before it gets out of hand. If you stop it now, it will prevent a lot of headache later. Good Luck Momma
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• In the 10th grade it would be better if your daughter learned to handle it on her own. She can try being pleasant to the girl when she can, and ignoring rude remarks.

Answer by Bmat at 12:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Usually bullying doesn't end until the bully finds another target or the school gets involved. Ignoring the problem doesn't make it stop. I would suggest a phone call to the school. Like a PP mentioned, you don't want it getting out of hand. This girl obviously needs a reprimand.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009