Baby refuses breast

My daughter is 6 months old and has no interest in nursing anymore. She has no patience for it. When she's really hungry, she screams and will bite down and pull. Is it possible for her to be already weaning? She refused to take a bottle until about a month ago, could she just have realized that a bottle is so much quicker?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometime they go on little strikes... for my son he went on a bottle strike and wouldn't have anything to do with it for a few days. (which is stressful when you have to work)
    With your daughter just don't give in and give her a bottle right now... if she wants some instant milk try to either pump or hand express so that you let down and the milk is right there for her.
    Once she is doing well with it again... make sure the bottles that she does get are a very slow flow nipple. I have a friend with a baby the same age and she had this problem when they tried to go up a stage on the nipples... then the baby only wanted bottles because it was so easy.
    I don't think your baby is weaning at this age though... so keep at it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i also think it might be a nursing strike. search it on kellymom.com.

my son had phases where he was so distracted by his new abilities to nurse very much too.

it's extremely unusual for a child to self-wean before over 12 months old. most won't self-wean until after 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009