When going to a theme park...

Ok, I have never gone to a theme park. When I was a kid we went camping and such...we never had money to go to one.

Well, next weekend I am driving my mom down to the SF airport, and my SO is going with me so I don't have to drive back alone. We are leaving Friday night and were supposed to turn around and come back Saturday afternoon, but my MIL suggested that she keep our daughter and we make a weekend of it.

I have been looking online at things to do, and I am thinking that I would like to take this opportunity to go! The closest ones to where we will be are Six Flags and Great America.

So now my two questions...which one should we go to?

And...how do the rides work? Do we pay for each one separately, or do we buy a pass, or what?

Thank you for your help ladies :)

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 12:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Personally, Great America. I am leary of Six Flags safety record. You pay an admission fee and you ride all the rides. Sometimes they have special things that cost extra but they are not required to have a great time. Be sure and check park availability since it is after Labor Day. Also, see if you can have a hand stamp and re-enter same day. If so..pack a picnic lunch in a cooler. Food is by far the most outrageous cost at amusement parks. Have a good time!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• When you go to a theme park you will pay an entrance fee and all the basic rides should be covered by that, you just go and stand in line. Some things might have an extra fee (like go-carts, or the reverse bungee), but they have signs with prices posted visibly. Don't know which you should go to, but go early, lines are shorter than in the afternoon. One tip for Six Flags (if you go there), buy the souvenier (sp?) cup, you should get free refills for the entire day, hubby and I share one when we go. Go to the park website, see how much they cost and look at what they have, that should help you make a decision. BTW, Have fun!!!
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 1:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/index.aspx This one is in the SF area, so I think it is the one you mean.

http://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/tickets/index.aspx has a list of tickets plus discounts. It looks as though you buy a pass that covers all rides, is my guess. I see that parking is expensive.

I didn't look up the other place.

Answer by Bmat at 1:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009