breast feeding

i am breast feeding my son and he is turning three weeks old tomorrow and the question i have is two days ago he spit up alot i mean it soaked my gf shirt it came out of his mouth and his nose. he doesn't spit up alot so this scared me really bad. i was just wonderin how come he spit up the way he did is it because i am smoking or is it because he ate to much. he eats alot during the day but he sleeps all night. thanks for all answers

smiley198028

Asked by smiley198028 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be bc your smoking. try to give it up. i know its hard.. but i think breast feeding is the most crucial time. He gets everything that goes into your body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It could have also been something you ate. When I was trying to BF my son, he would projectile my milk, when I gave up on nursing he did the same to his formula, he was lactose sensitive. So maybe changing your diet around will help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• it came be that or maybe you have an overactive let down
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It is probably from the nicotene.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• There is not usually enough of the food you eat that passes through to cause a problem...however, you pass 5 TIMES the amount of nicotine thru breastmilk and not to mention the THIRD hand smoke (yes, there is such a thing) that is probably still on your clothes....I know people say it's better to smoke and BF than to not BF, but as far as Im concerned, it's better to BF and NOT smoke...YOu owe that much to the innocence of your sweet baby...just quit!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• All of the above answers are good ones. I'll add one more.

Spit happens. **grin** Often it SEEMS worse than it is....let's keep an eye out for repeat performances.

Quitting the ciggie butts is a good idea in any event.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My oldest spit up/threw up when even I ate spicy food, go figure she loves it now.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009