Teething or Allergic reaction???

My son is 5 months and trying new baby food he ate sweet potatoes for a week everyother day but then 2 days ago his cheeks and chin and a little above his lip where first like a rash bumpy and red then the next day it was all really red and today its not really there. People said that he could be teething their cheeks turn red. He is acting normal but is it the food?? He eat bananas and peaches and pears and squash and sweet potatoes. My MIL said that when her kids where little her Dr. said peaches can do that to them??? What do you think

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 12:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my kids were that little, I pretty much only gave them veggies, but teething can also cause that kind of rash. Teething changes the saliva and it can be more acidic. Some children are very sensitive to change in their normal PH. You best bet would be to take the acidic foods out of his diet for now and wait and see
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Something too acidic maybe, but it sounds like what my dd is going through right now,a nd its teething, (haven't done anything new with food so)
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think it might be teething cheeks... at least it sounds ALOT like how my sons cheeks would get when he first was getting his teeth in. My son's cheeks and chin would turn red and then get kind of chapped looking... sometime within a matter of hours. It would come and go until he was about 10 months.
    Now when he gets teeth they only slightly get red... that's how I know another tooth is coming in.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yeah it is chapped too. But I don't see any teeth coming in. But he is biting everything and chewing on everyhting.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 1:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• 5 months is a bit early for solids. I would restart in another month

Answer by rkoloms at 1:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Stop everything and see if it clears. Bananas are related to latex, so my money is on that if it is an allergy. Start again in a month and do one food per week.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It sounds like an allergy to me, it happened to my daughter when I gave her cinnamon. Back off the sweet potatoes until after the first year, just to be safe. Definitely ask your pedi at your next apt.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009