school trouble!

My son is 5 yrs old and just started kindergarden 2 weeks ago! The teach has already called us in to tell us our son is not acting mature enough to be there and she thinks he should be put back in preschool! She says he is not listening and doesn't follow directions, which I know he can do! I mean he isn't a shy calm kid like the others. What should I do?

mrsmamaj

Asked by mrsmamaj at 12:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think 2 weeks is a fairly short time to make that call in. Give it 2 more weeks at least. Some kids need longer to settle in a bit. Talk to your son as well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Request that the Guidance Councelor and/or School Psycologist sit in on the class for a few days and evaluate him. Then have a meeting with everyone to determine the course of action that is best for him.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 1:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I agree that asking to have a meeting with the school social worker would be the most appropriate course of action to take first. If it's a behavior issue, maybe work out a rewards system at home... ask the teacher to send home a simple behavior report each day (my dd's teacher uses a colored dot system: green= great day yellow = multi-warnings red = punishment or severe class disruption.) Reward him with a little treat (get a bunch of dollar store trinkets or anything else that would motivate him) each day he comes home with a green dot. (if he starts getting green dots every day start giving him a bigger prize for each full week of green dots -- eventually good behavior should become habit)
    If the teacher feels like he's behind academically or socially it may help to get him a professional assessment for a learning disorder. From there you and the social worker or psychologist can develop a personalized plan for you and -
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• the teacher(s) to follow. Don't just allow the teacher to dictate sending him to pre-k... there may be a bigger issue than simple "immaturity".
    Good luck!!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Did he go to pre-k? If not that might be why the teacher thinks he isnt ready.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• A 5 yr old that doesn't listen or follow directions?? Sounds normal to me!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Maybe she's just too lazy to deal with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• A 5 yr old should be able to follow simple, multiple step directions and listen to what he or she is told. I would request the school counselor sit in on a couple of classes to observe him. Two weeks is not enough time to determine what is going on. Is he a young 5 year old? That could make a difference too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009