Forced to not vaccinate...

I have been trying for over a year now to get some sort of help with health insurance for my daughter. No luck. My family (myself, my fiance, and our daughter) are indeed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below the poverty line, he only brings home 250 a week. But they keep on giving us different excuses as to why we dont qualify for state health insurance. So my daughter has not had any of her shots since she was 8 months old. I can in no way at all afford to go to the doctors without insurance. It would come down to feeding my child or getting her vax'd. So obviously I choose to feed her. My question is, can I get in trouble for not having her vaccinated? She is almost 2 now, so if I ever get health insurance how would they catch her up on her shots? What if I never get insurance? How will I be able to put her in school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Try the health department, they may be able to help, if not point you in the right direction, best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• look up health choices it is welfare and yes you qualify
    contact your local Dept. of Human Services
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You would not get in trouble for not having her vaccinated. None of my kids are vaccinated. When it comes to school, if you don't have her vaccinated by then, you can get an exception and they have to allow her in public school.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Your local health dept will provide immunizations for free or on a sliding scale.

However, no - you will not get in trouble. Every state allows for exemptions (medical, religious, and/or philosophical). You just fill out the form & your child can go to daycare, preschool, private school, public school, etc w/o hving been vaccinated.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The health department usually has dates set up for free vaccinations. They may even have it available all year long.

Given your income you should qualify for Medicaid (or whatever your state calls it). What reasons are they giving you for not being qualified?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You will not get in trouble for not vaccinating her but I would encourage you (since you seem like a pro-vacc) to catch up her shots when she gets insurance.

Have you considered getting a job so that she can have insurance?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Hey everyone. Thanks for all the advice. I would love to work so that we could have more money. But we have no family around, and cant afford a babysitter or daycare, we tried that already. I am pro-vac. So could anyone explainn how they will catch her up on shots? because I am worried about too many shots at once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• They will be spaced out as if she is getting them for the first time. I remember when I had no insurance and had to go to free clinic's, the wait sucked but the vax's were free.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Wow!! That is terrible. The state we live in has NO child without health insurance. The parents may not qualify, but the children always get Medicaid or if above the cut-off limit they at least get a discounted health insurance. I guess we are fortunate. we live in PA
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2009