about the cervix...

so im 33 weeks and at my last appt (wed.) my midwife said my cervix was very thin, and that it has been pretty thin over the past couple weeks. i have gone into labor twice and both times it was stopped with that shot that burns like hell lol and makes you all shakey and your heart race! i have contractions a lot! sometimes they get really close together, and when i lay down and just relax they get further apart...

this is my first pregnancy and i was just wondering what a very thin cervix meant...
thanks

danette624

Asked by danette624 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A lot of women become 50-100% effaced weeks before they deliver. Many women may also experience consistant contractions for weeks before delivery. It just means your body is getting ready to have a baby. If you begin to dialate, your midwife may take issue with that. Trust your team, and always tell them about your concerns:)
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• you wnat your cervux to be thin out. you now how they say effaced well is the same thing. the more effaced (thin out ) the better. oh i also got those hots to stop labor. my butt hurt like hell!!! lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You don't want your cervix to be thin YET. Is your midwife just checking you often because you've been having contractions? Because that could be counterproductive. Sometimes getting an exam stirs things up more.

Also, you may want to check into those IV drugs. There are some potentially dangerous side effects that many are not aware of for both mom and baby. I had it once when pregnant with my 3rd, went home and researched it (I was given terbutaline), and informed my midwife that I would NOT be getting that shot again. The next time I went it for pre-term, they just gave me a ton of fluids in my IV.

After that, I just tried to drink water CONSTANTLY and things got a bit better. At least my daughter was full term when she was born. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• no i have only had them checked twice..once in the triage center when i started going into labor the first time, and then at this last dr. appt and she said they were very thin, but my cervix were still closed. i have been losing bits and pieces of my mucous plug also, but i know that could mean nothing.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009