What are some great "older" movies or TV shows?

I"m looking for some good stuff to rent from netflix . . . any movies from the pre-95 era, preferably comedies, romances, some sci-fi . . . any ideas? also any old good tv shows that are now out on DVD?

thegoddessofwit

Asked by thegoddessofwit at 7:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My very favorite movie is Love Affair. It has 2 remakes all are wonderful. Harvey with Jimmy Stewart, funny and silly. Arsenic and Old Lace with CaryGrant..super fun. Plaza Suite with Walter Mattew...cute!...those are just a few of my favorites oldies to get ya started. Enjoy!!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• you could rent and watch all the friends episodes, i guess that really isnt pre 95 but still good. Movies- ferris buller, double indeminity (spelling). i love scarey movies watch the originals of psycho & exorcist. metropolis is a good old old one! potempkin. Great expectations in black and white- classic!
    tandme

Answer by tandme at 8:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Any John Hughes movie (Brat Pack). Old Cary Grant, Doris Day, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly or Shirley Temple movies are great. The first Star Wars. Grease. OMG, there are so many good movies. You might try searching http://www.imdb.com/chart/ for suggestions in the genre and decade you are in the mood for.

Or, you could search on Academy award winners by year.

halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I'm not sure how old it is but "House of Cards" is a great movie! It comes on cable every once in a while and I make a point to watch it every time!!
    MommyToRylee

Answer by MommyToRylee at 9:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I can't go without mentioning "Breakfast at Tiffany's" ... One of my all time favorites!
    MommyToRylee

Answer by MommyToRylee at 9:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• it's a matter of what you like.. I love the old "B' movies and the old musicals. Among my all around all-time favs..Casablanca, Lillies of the Field, In Harms Way, Roman Holiday, Meet me in St. Louis, The King and I, A Walk in the Clouds, Dead Poets Society, Lean On Me, Con Air,Twins Junior, Dantes Peak...hows that for a motley selection
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• If you like musicals...get something like Oklahoma or The Music Man. For old t.v. shows, you should get the Andy Griffith or I Love Lucy series. Those are two of the best old comedies on tvland. :)
    mybritt

Answer by mybritt at 9:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Officer And A Gentleman; Caddyshack; Rainman; Back to the Future; Stripes; Meatballs; Kramer vs. Kramer; Dirty Dancing; Baby Boom. Enjoy!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• how about some good classic comedy's like The blues Brothers, Animal house, all the Nerds movies, Police Academy, National Lampoon's Vacation,The breakfast club, Sixteen Candles, the list goes on and on.....
    Farmerswife2

Answer by Farmerswife2 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I love License to Drive, Lost boys, Sixteen candles, teen witch, ya know those 80s movies, LOL. Im waiting for The Wonder Years and Blossom to come out on dvd.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 11:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2008