My son had a new playmate over from school yesterday...

really nice, kind boy. I picked the boy up and took him home a few hours later. On the way to driving him home I said "we'd love to have you over again someday because you are such a good boy". He said "well, at home i'm not a good boy sometimes because I'm always hungry and we have no food in the house". This completely broke my heart! Not sure if I believe that he is starving but I feel horrible for this boy. I kinda know his family. His house looked decent.
While at my house he ate 3 chocolate chip cookies, strawberries, string cheese and a bag of chips then finished my sons bag of chips all within 2 hours!
I want to look out for this child and make sure he is okay. What would you do?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 1:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would invite him over as often as possible to make sure that he is being fed, and to watch out for other signs of abuse (if any).

You also could do things such as leaving an anonymous bag of groceries by their front door. I remember as a kid my neighbors thought they were being sneaky and would do things like that for us.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I love the idea of the groceries! Maybe have him for dinner and ask "so what does your family eat for dinner" things like that to see if he tells you more. Maybe since he was eating cookies, chips etc at your house he may have thought that was a privilege. At my house my daughter doesnt get those types of treats unless its a special occasion so maybe he thought that was a big deal and just meant he doesnt get to eat like that.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• one time when i was 5 friends of the family were baby sitting me and i ate 3 hot dogs and then told him (Bruce, my dads friend) that i hadnt eaten in 3 days... i was lying, i was very well fed growing up!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• pookipoo LOL! Ashley, that what i'm guessing becuase of the snacks or whatever. But i do plan on having him again. He is so nice and respectful just like my son! Thanks ladies!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• my kids think they are always starving also and they get plenty to eat lol they go to grandmas and say im hungry i had nothing to eat yet when in most case we just got done at a restaurant... unless the boy is showing signs of mal nutrition i wouldnt worry too much about it, but maybe keep an eye on the situation.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 1:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009