my school serves pb&j sandwiches

My kids school serves pb&j sandwiches. Here is the menu for the 24th Chicken fajito taco with all the fixings, PB/Jelly sandwiches, fruit and milk. First question, we dont have a problem in our school with it even though there is nut allergies out there. Second question if you pack a lunch for you kid, why, i would never pack a lunch, the food is pefectly good at school, lovingly prepared and served by people that know my children, will give them a little more, if it is something they like without making a big deal out of it and really seems to care for all the children, (either that they really like mine, because i hear about the lunch lady for the kids all the time and the lunch ladies always say how good my daughter is.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Im sorry, what is the question here?
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I imagine people pack their children's lunches for many reasons (allergies, special diets). Why do you care? Are you personally offended if they pack a lunch?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Our school serves pb&j's everyday for kids who don't like either of the two choices of entrees. But I pack a lunch for my kids on the days they don't like what's being served. I would much rather them have a healthy meal they like than either A) eat something they don't enjoy or B) not eat at all.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I missed the first question in there? Oh well. In our school district, PB&J is an option every day for the kids who don't care for whatever is being served in the main line. Also, any kid can get a PB&J for free, any day they want, even if they aren't on the reduced or free meal plan. The policy is in place to help out the kids who may have forgotten their lunch or to help out the family that may be tight on cash one week even though they aren't "poor" enough to qualify for free lunches. It's a great program to make sure NO kid ever has to go hungry.

As far as "Why pack a lunch?" Well, in short because I'm their mom! I'm pretty particular about food standards. The biggest one to most people is that we are vegetarians, so that can be hard to accommodate. If I pack it myself, I can be certain my kid is getting a meal that isn't full of refined grains and sugars, fats, artificial colors and preservatives. Real. Healthy. Food.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 2:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Im confused......................?
    savvya

Answer by savvya at 2:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Okay not sure what the exact question is....
    My kids schools fix actual foods (in my day it was frozen 'tv dinner' type stuff for hot lunch), and from what I have seen their hot lunches look really good. My kids do like hot lunch and they eat it every day. My grade school son has a choice of 2 meals. His school also offers peanut butter sandwiches to anyone who does not have a lunch that day. My middle school son has more choices and can mix it up a bit or buy some add-ons for his lunch. The cost is reasonable, and I know I would have a hard time coming up with a variety of sack lunches that they would actually eat and that would not need refrigeration (I don't trust cold packs, or trust that my kids would not accidentally loose or toss them).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I pack a lunch for my daugther 4 years old, she has a fear of new foods, so I pack some thing I know she will eat.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The food in the Chicago public schools is horrid! Loaded with sodium, saturated fats, genetically modified and pesticide laden garbage. My daughter wouldn’t eat school food if they paid us.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Why does packing a lunch need justification? I'm the parent, I provide their food.

The food is perfectly good from home; lovingly prepared by a person that knows my child--me!

Also, getting a school lunch takes more time so there is less time to eat and less time to play.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My daughter's school serves peanut butter too.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009