Cleaning their room!

Do you clean your teens room? My DS is a slob and I cant stand it. I ask and ask and then choose my battles and clean it up or else we would not have any glasses or dishes left to eat from. What else can I do? I tried taking everything away and that did not work.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• No never did. I would just shut the door. And tell them to keep the door shut if it is not clean, to my standards. My clean and their clean is different.

Answer by louise2 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• This is a universal battle. I went through it as a teen with my mom and I'm dealing with it now with my kids as tweens.

My mom's trick was to go in my room and clean it - then take everything clean (including my clothes) and put them under lock and key.

Amazing how not having any clothes to wear or dishes to eat from motivates....
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My dad used to stand in my doorway with a big black garbage bag and threaten to throw out everything that wasn't tidied away.
    I called his bluff one time...and one time only. There was no bluff.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• don't let them eat in their room

Answer by rkoloms at 3:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Don't let them take dishes to thier room or at lest make them use paper prodects. But ewww, dirty dishes attrach bugs and grow things. You must be cleaning his room a lot.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I ask and ask and threaten and even have thrown clothes out the window or in the garbage. Now I sit on the bed and make sure it is done. They know if I do it , their "stuff" could end up gone. If that is ok
    with them then it is with me!!! I tell my that if their dirty clothes are not in their hamper I won't wash them. My 16 yo dd had to do her own wash this summer and it didn't go well!!! Now at the very least
    her dirty clothes are in the hamper!!! I have learned to pick my battles and if this is something that you want to fight over more power to ya, I save my real fights for the big stuff.
    If you find a way to get them to clean up, do us all a favor and share!!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• No. They keep their rooms clean. I do make their beds (simply because I change the sheets on all 3 beds every day) and I do grab their laundry from the baskets in their room (if it's not IN the basket it gets washed the next day as long as it IS the basket then) but they dust and vacuum and make their beds if they aren't working on the weekends. They are both high school seniors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't clean it and I don't battle it, they are not allowed to eat in thier room's so dishes isn't the issue, but I don't clean what isn't in the hamper, I don't replace what they "lost". I just close the door and walk away, it is thier room and if they want to live in a pigsty...so be it.

I can say it took over a year but they all keep thier rooms picked up. It is by no means perfect, but it is semi presentable.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009