How to get my 10 month old to take a sippy cup

My daughter is about 10 1/2 months and still wont take a sippy cup with formula. She will drink water out of it a little bit at a time but when I try formula in it she gets so upset! I try sitting down with her as I would when feeding her from the bottle (she still doesnt hold it herself) but that doesnt work. I have tried 2 different types of sippy cups and no luck! She cries so hard I give in & give her the bottle! What do I do! I feel like she will never get off the bottle

MadisMama3

Asked by MadisMama3 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter won't take formula out of a sippy cup either. I give her a bottle in the morning and one at night...the rest of the day she wants juice, water, or milk when she eats. I've heard many mothers say that their child won't take formula in a sippy cup. When it's time for her to be off of formula she'll probably do better.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 2:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Then just give her water in the sippy and get rid of the bottle when you discontinue formula.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 10 months and is the same way! So, you're not alone. I've tried three different kinds. She'll drink water from it but only a few sips like you mentioned. My moms says I should keep trying so she'll be off the bottle by 1, but I'm just going to let her do it on her own time and keep trying. Good Luck!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• there is no law saying a 10 month old shouldn't drink from a bottle. let her have the bottle for her formula and continue giving her the cup with water or juice(watered down is better). children have an instinct to suck that almost always disappears by 2,maybe 3. don't let other people's expectations keep your child from having a little comfort. she may like milk from the cup, when you decide to switch to it. you can give her small amounts of milk in the cup to help the transition from formula. If she likes a pacifier, it is safe for her to use it as long as she wants it. My 2 older sons had cups and bottles until sometime after 2- they eventually didn't want the bottle. I didn't push the issue, so they probably would have been off of the bottle sooner, point being,they grew out of it. It's up to you, but please don't force it....
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 3:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• She'll take the sippy when she's ready. Like I tell my kids, good things take time. I know it's hard, but just be a little more patient, Hon. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 3:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Thank you ladies, very helpful! Trust me I am not forcing the issue, I dont want her to feel pressure at only 10 months of age lol :) She is my first and you just always wonder if you are doing things right! But I should just let her beautiful smile, and happy personality be my guide :)
    MadisMama3

Answer by MadisMama3 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2009