What do you think of this quote?

"Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."
-- Corrie Ten Boom

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 2:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Love Corrie Ten Boom. She was truly an amazing woman.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My husband & I argue over worry pretty often (he is a worrier, I am not). I say it eats up today & robs you of the joy of now. He says that if nobody ever worries, nobody is ever prepared, that people are too often not worrying now-a-days & are thoughtless because of it. I suppose we are both right & the quote really only applies to obsessive over-worrying.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Didn't Jesus say something like this? That don't worry about tomorrow cause today has enough burdens? Anyways I love it it's true and I need to put it to heart lolz
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i think forgetting about tomorrow ( the hereafter) is what has this world screwed up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• not much about it! it won't change my stress level.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Anon- no one said to forget about tomorrow. There is a big difference between planning and preparing and worry. Worry crosses the line into obsessing, "what ifing", you are looking for troubles that may or may not happen. Rather than preparing for reasonable things. For example, it is wise to live a healthy life and know your risks, but unwise to obcess about getting Alzheimers.    When you cross over into worry it hinders your ability to function in today.

Now if I could just learn to do what this quote says.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It means you aren't living in today. Worry won't change what is going to be. What is meant to happen WILL happen, regardless of worry or prayer. The trick is to accept that whatever happens, you will just continue on from there and do whatever you have to do to keep moving forward.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Actually Melody- it does, because you aren't spending energy on what might be you have more for the stuff of today. I have a husband with a chronic illness, twins with developmental delays and teenage daughter, I'm unemployed and we are on welfare. Stress is a daily factor but it helps if I'm only dealing with today.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• There is a difference between preparing yourself for something and worrying over it. I'd have to say that quote makes a lot of sense.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009