Could my 2 1/2 year old be phazing out naps?

My son normally wakes up around 7, and goes down for a nap around 12:30. Wakes up about 3-3:30, and then goes to bed at 8pm. Here lately he hasnt been taking a nap. He doesnt fight it, but he just lays there and plays. The longest I've let him go is an hour and a half. This past week he's maybe had 1 nap. The other days he's played. As of right now he's been laying there playing for 30 minutes. Contently, I lay him down with the hope that he will play himself to sleep. Today I also waited until 2, to lay him down since he woke up at 8am. Any advice?

DandieMandie

Asked by DandieMandie at 3:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'll be you shuddered in horror at the possibility that naptime may be a thing of the past! My son will be 2 1/2 in October and I've found the same thing. Some days he'll play forever in his room and not go to sleep. If he can get through until bedtime without being a grumpy nightmare, he may very well not need a daily nap. However, try putting him down at 1 rather than 12:30. See if that matters Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. Put him into his room at naptime and leave him to play. As long as he isn't trashing his room, the quiet time is good for both of you. Let him play as long as he's happy or until his normal naptime ends. Then go on with the rest of your day. I sometimes put my son in stroller and go for a walk during naptime. He'll usually sleep about 30 to 45 minutes which helps avoid any crankiness.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I fear this too - my son is only 22 months and he will fight napping but scream - not lay there contently... he is really mad at me for making him take a nap. thank goodness for the crib still!! haa.. he stopped taking 2 naps on his own at 13 months so i told my husband we'd be lucky if he was taking a nap at all anymore by 2-1/2...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Ethan doesn't even get the slightest bit cranky without a nap. And he doesnt fight bedtime. He just lays in his bed, since he's been in a toddler bed, he has NEVER gotten out of it without first asking. "Can I get up?" And if we answer no, he pouts but stays there.
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 4:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You can do one of two things....either just stop putting him down unless you know he's tired, or since he doesn't fight it just put him down for his quiet time.

He's not fighting it, I'd go for the quiet time. But you also know that now your afternoons are "freed up" for other things if you need more time. He doesn't NEED the nap!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009