MY 5 YR. OLD LEAVES ME OUT!!!!!

So this is my first child that I have sent to kindergarten, it's all day, so when he gets home I asks about his day, he never tells me, He's away from me all day, I have no idea what goes on and he rufuses to let me in on it, Sounds silly but I feel like he's cheating on me with his teacher or something, like I'm jealous of her, I burst out in tears over it, it's really upsetting me, What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in

• It's a boy thing... I don't remember my oldest son telling me about school when he first started even now in 4th he doesn't tell me much... and then sometimes he will. My daughter started kindergarden this year and she was a quite about it at first and then this week she has just carried on about what her teacher says.
    MomofWildcats

Answer by MomofWildcats at 9:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Stop asking him. Act indifferent. If he offers information, then smile and remark. It may be that he is feeling hovered over and doesn't want to be such a focus of your attention that you cry if he doesn't share.

Answer by Bmat at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It's perfectly normal to feel that way! I did the same thing with my son...I wanted to know every single detail about his day--and he didn't feel the need to tell me about it. It took some adjustment time but now he's in 2nd and I know if something happens that he wants me to know about he will tell me.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• He's just being a kid. My son never told me what he did at school until 2nd grade. I'd ask and he'd say "I dunno". Sometimes he'd tell me a little more if I asked specific questions. You are his mommy, you are always going to be his mommy. He will have a new teacher every year....only 1 you. Chances are he knows that. Don't let it get to you. The school thing gets easier.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The dinner table is the perfect place for the family to talk about their day! Talk about your day and ask your kids about theirs (even before they can answer!).

When I was a child, my dad asked us every day: what did you learn in school today? If we didn't have an answer, we were sent to the encyclopedia; we use the internet.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My DD who is in school doesn't tell a lot when I ask her about it but like rkoloms suggested, the dinner table! We eat dinner at the kitchen table EVERY night and miraculously, she ALWAYS finds things to tell us. She'll talk ALL through dinner, telling us about her day and whatnot. We talk about our days and she talks about hers. It's a great way to spend time with each other and just talk. That's what we do. :-D

Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It may not be that he is is holding anything back- it might just be that nothing "exciting" enough happened for him to tell you about- I homeschool but there are times when daddy comes home and he will ask "so what did mom teach you today?" and he will say "i don't know, some stuff" lol but if he prods him enough he will start spewing things that we did throughout the day. So maybe if you prod him, not too much to where he gets upset but maybe if you ask in a way that gets him going- like instead of asking what he did today ask- so did you learn about frogs? or whatever and let him remember that way

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:29 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He' s probably angry for you making him go to school. Some kids feel like moms "get rid of them" bc they don't want their kids anymore. Assure him that is not the case

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son does this too. What I found that worked for him is I tell him about my day and then he tells me about his day. Sometimes I have to jog his memory a bit. I will ask him what he ate for lunch, or what center he played in, what letter he is learning this week, etc. He will open up then. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Try asking him specific questions. "What did you do today?" may be too big of a question for a five year old.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2009