Was that poll credible?

Hey, kids! Have you heard the one about the poll that indicates that 65% of doctors are against health care reform, and that 45% of doctors hate it so much that they would totally go Galt, quit the lucrative medical profession altogether, and live off the land like the noble Cherokee? Yeah, well, you can all calm down, because that poll is crazy.

Said findings were commissioned and reported by Investor's Business Daily, which has been responsible for some serious lulus of late. The Awl's Alex Balk points out that the publication's previous contribution to the health care reform debate was to assert that "if Stephen Hawking lived in England, the death panels would have killed him by now."

2 out of 3 huh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• of "large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived." Its editors are also the geniuses who brought us the poll that insisted that Senator John McCain would win the youth vote in the 2008 presidential campaign to the tune of 74-22, results that can only be achieved if you restrict your polling sample to the staff of McCainBlogette.

Anyway, Nate Silver spits hot fire all over this new nonsense, pointing out that, among other faults, the IBD poll was conducted by mail, that the paper reported its results before all the responses were in, that the questions were not objective, and that terms like "practicing physician" were not clearly defined.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't need a poll or a Doctor to tell me what to think. Public option stinks like a big turd and I am not in support of it. I don't care about the Dr.'s opinions. I care about my own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I'll go witht the opinions of the docs in our town. The newspaper did a big series and there was not a single doctor in town that was in favor of a public option.

They were however in favor of an overhaul of medicare and medicaid, and less red tape for va patients.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I will go with the opinions of my family member drs and their collegues
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I still think it brings up valid concerns. If we are ALREADY in a Dr shortage, add to that MORE patients, then [even if only a few] Dr's leaving????  Who is going to see the 10's of millions new patient Democrats claim will benefit from a government ran 'public option'? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It doesn't matter who sponsors a poll, only that the methodology is sound. There's another one out there claiming the majority of doctors support the bill - it uses flawed methodology by only taking a non-representative sampling and then expanding on it to make a flawed assumption. The study OP talks about used sound methodology. Would they have paid to publicize it if it didn't say what they wanted? Probably not. But that doesn't change the study, it just means they were willing to let people see it. Either way the results are accurate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I knew it was wrong as soon as I saw it. Working in a hospital and having a large network of professionsals, we talk all the time, It simply wasn't true.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 6:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I knew the poll was flawed because they gave these numbers---1,345 Doctors polled. LOL. Not a credible sample. Silly poll. STupid article. I don't believe most of what is written here anyway . SLanted, skewed and only posted by Conservatives....not real believeable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The doctors I met in Washington on 9.12 didn't like the plan. There was one guy who is a gastric-endocrinologist who wore a lab coat with "Dr. Ray says no way" on the back. The neurologist that was sitting next to us didn't like it. The speaker who was with the "stopping deaths from infections" group didn't like it. And anon :01 - a 1,345 polled has to be a credible sample. All of the polls used by the WH and polling groups only call about 2,000 people. To be the "10% sample" required by research protocol, they would have to call 200,000 people. It isn't possible. You just can't stand there are people who really don't like this plan or your guy.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You just can't stand there are people who really don't like this plan or your guy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Its ok that people dislike Obama, I just can't stand the GOP LIES!... 40% of doctors will quit. Give me a BREAK. LIARS!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009