WHY is my breastmilk decreasing

This is REALLY Breakin my heart, my daughter is 6 months.I have breastfeed her since I had her.A couple of days now,my milk has been REALLY low, I have a breast pump.Am only pumping 2 ounces!!, IDK how much shes getting with with my breast(s). I been taking Fenugreek, and its NOT helping.What to do, shes needs more then 2 ounces. When I first notice this, I went to the store and brought her some simlic (advanced), OKAY, she hates IT!. Just like she hates enfamil!!.This is getting stressful, because I want to keep feeding her breastmilk, but am not producing. :-(. I want to get a job, but am not even pumping enoughto last her through the day.I cant have her on the boob @ a job.HELP! I posted a question earlier this week, asking the similer ?

ChloesMom030509

Asked by ChloesMom030509 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you pump is no indication of what your child is eating. Pumps don't suck enough. If you are wanted to go back to work and pump a supply for her I would suggest renting one from the hospital. Those are a dream and so effective, but noisy. Also the more you offer her the breast the better this will increase the supply much faster and drink plenty of water. Try and relax the more you stress over it the harder time you will have.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• hello, i know how u feel i had the same problem too and people told to start drinking alot of water and milk so i did mainly water and i started taking vitamins and it worked i got more milk my baby is 8 months almost nine and i am still breastfeeding him. Well hopefully my advice helps u out.
    kika_giggles

Answer by kika_giggles at 4:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• OK. Your PUMPING OUTPUT decreases as she gets older. Your supply is fine. If she's having enough diapers(5-6 in 24 hours) you're OK. If you get a job, leave what you CAN pump and then fill the rest with solids OR encourage her to reverse cycle. She only needs one ounce(1oz) per hour that you're away so if you can pump 2 oz every 2 hours you're right on target. 2 ounces is high normal anyway. Most women can only get .5-2oz per pumping session. Let me know if you need clarification on anything.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 4:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• 2 oz is normal out put witha pump. pump while nursing, drink plenty of water, eat well, and eat oatmeal. I EXCLUSEVELY PUMP SO MY PUMOP IS LIKE MY BEST FRIEND LOL
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• How much are you taking? 3 pills 3 times a day is what I took & it helped tremendously. I also nursed until baby quit, then pumped until I was dry.. then pumped another 5 min.... I did this around the clock & pumped between feedings, too, if they slept through one.

If you don't have a quality dual electric pump, I suggest getting one, too.

Within a couple of day, I saw major results... within 2 wks I had more milk stored than I knew what to do with.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• if you need any help msg me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• How long has been like this? If it's only a couple day, don't worry...drink more water or juice. It actually means your DD is getting bigger appetize that is why you are not able to pump more. And it actually takes a couple days for breasts to resume so it will produce more within a couple days. Please don't panic...it's gonna be fine. BTW, don't give her any bottle or formula just yet. BE PATIENT!!! The MILK IS gonna come in soon enough.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 4:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Two ounces is NORMAL output....and what you pump means NOTHING.

Are you changing six dipes a day? If so,. your supply is PERFECT.

There are moms who cannot pump ONE DROP yet can feed twins. Don't judge a single thing on pump output, infant attitude or ANYTHING but the dipe count. What goes in has to come out.

If you aren't changing about six dipes a day, then come on by the breastfeeding moms group and we CAN help you. But I have a feeling you're doing much better than you think you are.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Did you happen to get your period back?? Mine would take a nose dive every time AF would come and then I would have to take supplements to increase it. Thankfully I had a bunch of frozen milk to use.
    OR are your sure your pump is working well? sometimes they loose suction and your supply is just fine. Is your baby acting like she isn't getting enough?
    Also, if she has started foods lately your supply can go down because she isn't drinking as much.

To help your supply try more milk plus... I found it worked much better than fenugreek. Or call your doctor for a script for Reglan (I had a friend that used this and thought it was wonderful)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2009