It won't be easy...

Jesus said it wouldn't be easy to be a christian, what does that mean? Does that mean we have to have a hard life or what?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe that it means our lives will necessarily be harder than anyone else's. But that we will have to face temptation which was no big deal before we knew Christ, we will face persecution (from non-believers and and from our buddies who we used to "hang with") and we will have to think about and remember...every day...WHO we are, who we belong to now and make sure that our actions and our words are faithful to one another. If you're gonna talk the talk sister, walk the walk so to speak.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 4:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It is always difficult to be different. A simple example, for some people it is difficult to get up and go to church, but as Christians it is part of being obedient to God. It is difficult to believe in a God we can't see, can't physically touch, who's ways don't always make sense to us. And then there is the persecution we see. It is less here in America but we have seen it right here on CM. There are a certain group of people who are just looking for ways to start drama with Christians. So just being different and believing God for what He says, not what we want Him to say is difficult.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My favorite cartoon depicts jesus struggling to carry a cross on his back, up the mountain, into the heavens. The next one shows him laughing and riding the cross down the mountain.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It means that at the time & place that Jesus was speaking it would be difficult, even life-threatening to deny all other gods & worship only his father. In some places that can still be true (to varying degrees). Basically it means that the exclusionary nature of the religion makes it difficult to follow in our societies.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Put it in the context of the era. Christ was considered a radical who preached AGAINST the standards of the day. To follow Him was to be considered a wild-eyed radical yourself, possibly a subversive.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• @gdiamante
    Put it in the context of the era. Christ was considered a radical who preached AGAINST the standards of the day. To follow Him was to be considered a wild-eyed radical yourself, possibly a subversive.

This is very true. I don't think in this time in history, here in America we can really understand the kind of persecution that Jesus spoke of. We may think that we are persecuted by not being able to pray in school or that kind of thing, but that really isn't persecution. That is a trivial annoyance compared to real persecution. We still run into troubles occasionally, but all told we have it great. So, no I don't think that Jesus meant we were bound to have a hard life because of our beliefs. I feel he meant that we would face the temptations of the world and would have the same struggles as the next person. Being a Christian does not exempt us from having hardships in life.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 6:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i find that following the bible as best as you can is a bit difficult if you're accustomed to living a certain way. I've had to give up alot of things and it was difficult, but my love for God has made it easier. Theres also another scripture that says something like yet His commands are not burdensome. Now I look at my life and it is so much better than before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009