Muslim moms- Circumcission questions

I came across another mom in another board and she was very rude to me!
I had an honest question about her post. She is Muslim and doesn't circ her sons.
I thought Muslims had to circ, since that's what I have heard from another mom who is very active in the Newcomers Club and is Muslim.
This non-circ mom besically told me mind my own business and said she had no interest in explaining to me and engaging in a mommy war (Why post your views then if you are not willing to explain them?)
So is circing an optional thing with Muslims or required? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not Muslim, but I just did a quick google search for you and found that it is not mentioned in the Quran but is something that is widely practiced among Muslims: "According to the World Health Organization (WHO), global estimates suggest that 30% of males are circumcised, of whom 68% are Muslim." So, sounds like it's not required but is the norm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I dont think its a requirement of the religion but every Muslim I know practices it. I agree with you, if you arent willing to explain your beliefs (with in reason to someone who has asked respectfully) why post them? Hope I helped mama.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 6:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I had a Muslim co-worker once who was really shocked my boys are intact --- I'm talking he almost literally fell out of his chair.

He told me Muslims had to because of the religion... but I don't know for sure.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• As i understand it, all muslim boys must be circumcised. It is not done at birth but when they are older. It is a ritual which the women take no part in and have no responsibility for. Similarly, in the muslim communities where female circumcision is practised, it is the responsibility of the mother and the other women in the family and the men have no role in the ritual. This is what I have been told by muslim friends. The uncircumcised are regarded as 'unclean ' by devout muslims.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2009