Im such an idiot!!!!!!

I just won the award for words worst mother, I took DD to her Well Baby Check up and it had been 3 months, she had only gained 4 oz...I EBF and at 6 months old I started giving her babyfood and cereal like the Pedi said I could..well I didnt know that I also was supposed to be giving her table food and stuff, she said she can eat anything that doesnt need to be cut with a knife, well I have just been feeding her the baby food, and tried cheerios for the first time last month and she would just choke everytime she would eat one..well she still doesnt have teeth so I thought if she could handle cheerios then she couldnt handle table food. So I just kept feeding her baby food and breastfeeding on demand..well this check-up she wasnt even on the chart for her weight...I feel like the worlds worst mom and biggest idiot!! I had nooo idea...and now my baby is malnourished because of me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to give your baby table food. It sounds like she's not getting enough calories from your breastmilk. Maybe you could beef up the caloric intake?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• my DD is 7 months and all I give her is milk and jar food and those baby snacks that dissolves in the mouth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• maybe I'm lost, my son didn't eat table food til after 7 months cause he was a choker so I gave him formula and baby foods... >???
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Lots of moms only nurse~ even until after their child's first birthday.
    Is your baby crawling?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Babies do even out, they can go a period without gaining. If you are changing 6-8 diapers or more, its fine. As long as she's not losing. You don't need to give her table food if you don't feel she is ready. You don't even have to do baby food yet. Just nurse on demand. Breast milk has a LOT more calories then baby food. The solids can fill them, and then they might not be as hungry for the high calorie breast milk that is NEEDED most. Don't feel bad. I doubt your child is malnourished.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• She's not malnourished, and how were you supposed to automatically know when it was "okay" according to the doctor to give table foods if you weren't told?

Teeth don't matter, they don't chew with their front teeth anyway!

Mine were on all table foods at 9 months. They were good eaters, though. They gagged sometimes when they were learning...it's part of learning. There is a difference between choking and gagging. Gagging is them learning to clear the food out of their throats.

Table foods and baby food aren't going to make her gain weight. Your breast milk will. If she's not ready for real food, she's not ready. But baby food should NOT be taking the place of any nursing..huge cut in calories there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• What on earth? See, this is why I freaking hate those stupid growth charts at the doctors offices :(
    all they do is make moms feel they are stupid and that something is wrong with their baby when often times not a damn thing is wrong with the baby.
    If your child is happy and otherwise healthy then I wouldnt worry if I were you...if you are breastfeeding, the best way to tell if your baby is getting enough is to count wet and or dirty diapers, if she is getting anywhere between 6 and 8 a day, then she is FINE .
    EVERY baby is different and breastfed babies grow at a different rate than formula fed babies.
    My 1st was always on the small side, never on the chart where the doctors wanted her to be but you know what? She was perfectly healthy and happy! Im sure your baby is too!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 12:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2009