Have you ever lived next door to a relative with a memory problem?

We live next door to my husbands grandmother in her free rent house and she has a memory problem. Today she insisted that she had paid our electricity bill...wrong! She paid her bill (which was a little high for her) and then found an old electricity bill and mailed another check to TXU wrote it down in her check book and then said she paid my bill. I called the company and they said it was her bill read from her meter, that I paid our bill last month, and that the extra check she sent wasn't necessary. She's ok now, but she is often angry with my husband I for things we didn't do because she just can't remember ! She does not have alzeimers (spelling?), but she is driving us crazy! Anyone else deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, my grandmother who DID have Alzheimers.....

Your dh grandmother could be in the very beginning stages of alzheimers.....sounds like some of the first things my grandmother began to do. Her first noticable problems came from writing checks and keeping a checkbook. She had never had issues before, but all of a sudden she began to bounce checks and miss payments. She would argue FOREVER that we were wrong...but it was her that was making the mistakes....my mother had to take over her finances eventually.

Be patient....remember that she is not doing this to TRY and be ugly. She might just have a problem creeping up on her.

Watch for other signs and if you think she may be in early stages....then take her to the Dr. There are meds that they can give them to slow the process.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Maybe she has dementia. Take it easy on her. It may frustrating but just remember that you'll be old like that some day.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• alzheimer's IS dementia and yes she has it. talk to her doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• OP here..we have talked to the doctor. He said it is not alzheimers. It is a memory problem and she is taking meds for it. I just want to know the best way do deal with it. I was nice and polite about the whole electricity thing btw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• "alzheimer's IS dementia and yes she has it. talk to her doctor "

No, actually the two are different.

Here's a link

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009