The holidays are upon us! craft/gift ideas

I dont want to spend a lot of money on gifts this year, what could you suggest as gift ideas to give away to adults and children?

cynthiaesquivel

Asked by cynthiaesquivel at 5:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I love to make candy and cookies for people and put them in reusable tins.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I'm knitting hat & scarves for the adults and crotheting toys for the kids. =) I'm also drying fruits and spices for those who like to cook.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have a microwave peanut brittle recipe that I also make & give in reusable tins. (buy boy scout popcorn. They have great tins & the popcorn is awesome).

Check out an Oriental Trading catalog. they have several craft ideas. It is good to start early. One year we made little jewelry boxes. We had to sand & paint them. One year we made Santa ornaments. One year we made tissue boxes with different scenes. we have also painted T-shirts & bejeweled T-shirts, & tye dyed T-shirts. You can get nice shirts at the end of summer at JC Penny's or Goody's ect.

Personally I am running out ideas. I have not been inspired yet for this year. Have fun.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 1:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I've bought fleece by the yard and I trim the edges and finish them with a blanket stitch in a coordinating yarn. One yard works great for kids and two yards for teens & adults. I'm digging into my fancy yarn stash and I'm loom knitting a square pillow for my DD out of soft yarn. She's also getting a lighted potpourri bowl: take a rose bowl, tuck in a 10 ct. mini light strand, fill with potpourri and top with a small doily tied with ribbon.

I'm big on giving food baskets: sausage, cheese, cheese spread & crackers; soup mixes with homemade breads; different pancakes mixes (homemade) with a small jug of real maple syrup and Canadian bacon; baked goods like breads, muffins, coffee cakes & cinnamon rolls; candy, cookies & nuts. I also collect Christmas mugs throughout the year and the kids make up "snowman soup" in baggies and tie it with a candy cane, tuck it in the mug and give as random single gifts.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You should visit www.LooLeDo.com, theres lots of fun craft projects there! You can make everything out of household stuff (milk cartons, toilet paper tubes, tape, etc), and there are videos to show you how to make everything, as well as step by step picture/written instructions. I like the Crazy Creatures projects the best :)        

www.looledo.com

Looledo

Answer by Looledo at 1:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• WoW! I am inspired and I love the ideas. Please keep em coming!
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 3:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You can get in the scrap bens at the fabric stores and get some fake fur or fleese and sew long scarfs and sew fringe on ends and then invest in a round Knifty Knitter and make boggins to match! It takes 4 hours to make 1 boggin and then put long tresses on the top or fussy balls or plat some long hanging things with some sequins in it. I found some buttons to put on mine also! You can really get elegant with them too! For men or women! I get 2 boggins out of yarn with some left over to make some stripes with on the others too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I make Bra Purses! Just take a bra that is hard with the wire on the bottom and cut off everything except the straps cause you need them for the handle and hot glue it together and then hot glue old buttons and some fur or feathers trim around where you glued it together! No sew and quick! Just cut the backs of the hooking part and hot glue one on one side and then on the other so to hook it for closing! If the straps have medal circles on them, put a keychain in it so they can hook it to jean loops! Holds cell phone ID and money! DIFFERENT and you can go all out if you like! I even make ones with dog prints stamped on it for the dog lovers that walk their dogs! Endless creative ideas!!!! GOOGLE IT FOR INSTRUCTIONS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Buy old sweaters and cut off arms and sew bottoms to make a liquier or wine bottle cozy! Look under the post NOT MAKING IT and find my recipes for homemade liquor. Print out some labels and stick on it! Tie tops with pretty ribbon! I ask everyone to save bottles for me all year and that Kahula is expensive and so is peppermint schapps! You could also make bubble bath and put in there or your famous BBQ sauce! I save the creamer bottles to make bath salts and then make lables and stick on too! In big bowl pour Epsome salts and foodcoloring and some essencial oil and let sit and mull over night and break up and play with it and then put in there or jars!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Make homemade bread (men) love it and wrap up with homemade butter (which is half butter and half creamed cheese with some spice in it or basil, something green and buy a set of little butter spreaders and put one in there! Make some bread with rosemary on top or cheese in it. Men like to eat!!!! I use the instant potato flake recipe and get four foil pans out of it and freeze the butter untill time to go!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2009