All of you for the banning of peanut products in schools

Do you ever send your child to school sick? I bet you do. THAT puts my child at risk, and every other child. It then puts my entire family at risk. People die from the flu, yet parents still send their kids to school with it. Should all kids showing any signs of illness be sent home? Should sick kids be banned like the peanut butter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• well....not that sending a sick child to school is anywhere close to an allergy as severe as some food/latex allergies are.....yes....sending a sick child to school puts many at risk!.....yes!!.....there are people dying from the flu...particularly the swine flu....we had a 12 yr old die near our area that got swine flu.....from the time she first showed symptoms til she died was a matter of a couple days!....scary stuff!!!......do i send my kids to school if they are sick??.....HECK NO!!!!!!!......i think the "cut off" for a temp is like 100.5.....if my kid is running anything over 99 i typically keep them home.....if they are feeling ok....i may go ahead and send them and let the teacher know to keep an eye in them (sometimes a fever isn't anything more than being too hot from the covers....just for this reason....i have them get up and start getting ready or just sit for a few minutes to make sure).....
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 7:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I would never send my son to school sick; that would be cruel. I wouldn't want to go if I were sick, so I wouldn't make him. Do you send your children to school sick OP??
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 5:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Op here and I would never send him sick. Not only for the other childrens sake, but even more for his own.I'm just wondering if some of these parents who are scared to death of peanut butter selfishly send their kids to school sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Your logic is wayyyyy off....

SOME KIDS WHO HAVE PEANUT ALLERGIES.....KNOW they will die from exposure...

Of course you cant protect your child from EVERY possible thing that may endanger them....but something as simple as not allowing peanuts....should be easy.

Its amazing to me how selfish and inconsiderate some people can be.

and NO I do not send my sick child to school. I love my child and wouldnt want him to feel horrible at school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Wow, I'm shocked; why would you even be concerned if their kids go to school sick if you don't care to send something deadly (like peanuts) to school that could kill them? Oh I know because it's all about you and your child. Okay, now I understand...well, almost.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 5:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• What do you mean by sick? A sniffly nose? Yes I send them. A fever? No I don't. But I also expect my kids to be around sick kids at school, I know it will happen. If there is a peanut ban, I don't expect my kids to be exposed to pb.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• heartfrommyson, i would have no problem not sending my child to school with peanut butter. actually, he does not even like it, so it's not even an issue. I'm just saying that I bet every one of these parents lecturing have sent their kids to school sick, and THAT could have killed a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• No, I do NOT send my children to school sick. Never have. If they have a fever, a cough or a sore throat or if they are vomitting they stay home. I would NEVER intentionally do anything that could pose a threat to other peoples children.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i can't believe so many Mom's are so bothered that people are born with deadly peanut allergies - so what, your kid can't have PB & J if it saves others lives - Get over it - give them something else for lunch!!! my mom has peanut allergies and its so dangerous...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well I guess you bet wrong, and I'm glad to hear you're not selfish.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 5:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009