Breastfeeding help!!!!!!

I started originally feeding my daughter on one side and she used to eat for like 10-15 min. Then I started pumping and all my friends told me that they fed all their babies on both sides. Then I could double pump and have enough for a feeding. That was fine because she dropped her 12 am feeding. So I just stayed up and pumped then. Now she's picked that one back up and now I don't have time to pump. Should I switch to feeding her on just the one side and pump on the other???? She's also started only eating for like 5 minutes on each side. She's 4 months old, could she be that efficient???? Plus I've read that the hind milk is what she should be getting so by her eating for only the 5 minutes is she getting that hind milk....???? I mean I get that she could be going through a growth spurt and that as long as she has wet diapers (she does) she's getting enough. I'm just worried that I'm robbing her of the best.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you work outside the home, is that why you are pumping?
    I fed my son off both breast at each feeding. Yes they get very good at feedings and get rather quick sometimes. You can feed her off both and still pump once she is done or you can pump about an hour before or after her next feeding.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you don't need the pumped milk, then just don't pump. If you do, then pump after any feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My cousin would do that - let her son nurse on only one side and she would pump on the other. Pumping and nursing tells your body you need milk so if you start, your body will make it. When my DD was around 4 months she started nursing for about 5 minutes too. Watch when you pump, is your flow really fast? I know mine is, and when I saw that I stopped worrying so much. She always seemed full after nursing and I would offer her the other side, but she wasn't interested. She is now 6 months and gaining weight like normal so I'm not worried. As for the hind milk, to put your mind at ease, maybe pump for the same amount of time that she normally nurses and see if there is creamier milk in there too (I always notice it at the top after it's been in the refridgerator for a while).
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My daughter was never a very long nurser... she nursed MAYBE 10 minutes in the beginning and by 4 months she was down to 3 or 4 minutes from one breast only and she was done. And she was FAT! lol. It's totally possible for her to be that effecient. As long as she has enough diapers you're fine. If you're concerned about her getting enough hind milk then feed from one side until she voluntarily comes off it and only then offer the second side. Chances are she won't want it because she got plenty hind milk from the first breast :)

You're doing great, mamma! Keep up the good work!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• **grin** You're over-thinking.

UNLESS she's suddenly not wetting or pooping, carry on as you have been.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• when i first strated breasfeeding i tried the feed ur baby on one side 1st feeding then the other her next feeding. when baby eats from u they can get more milk then u pump,so i started feeding her from both breast each feeding,let her nurse for a few inutes on one then switch. u can also try pumping befor u feed her. early in the morning is when ur suply is greatest if u want to pump also
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My daughter was only nursing maybe 5 minutes on each breast, and sometimes only on one side, and still gaining weight rather nicely, so it is possible.
    If you are worried about her not getting the hind milk, you could try to pump after you breastfeed her, and see how the milk looks and if you even have any milk after she has eaten. That way you will know if she has emptied the breast. But the general rule, as you say, is to look for wet diapers and if she is growing and seems content, of course. It sounds like you are doing good, I know it hard when "people" tell you to try different things and you become unsure whether or not you are doing it right. Trust you maternal instinct and keep up the good work.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009