Can you get a period without bleeding? Theres an extra lot of discharge and cramping, but no blood. I am still breastfeeding twins if thats relevant

I feed them between 4-5 times a day each. slightly elevated breast tenderness, nothing unbearable...its the cramping that is making me feel like its a period.

myownlilzoo

Asked by myownlilzoo at 6:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Health

• you can still ovulate without bleeding, like a normal period. have you had a period since they were born, how old are they?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You can NOT ovulate without bleeding unless you get pregnant. You don't always have to ovulate to bleed but if you ovulate you WILL bleed unless a pregnancy occurs. Period. (no pun intended).

It could be that your period is coming and that's what this feeling is. Have you had your period back yet or no?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• no i havent had one since they were born, they are 13 months old
    myownlilzoo

Answer by myownlilzoo at 6:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Could be your cycle returning. But I have never heard of a period without blood. It's either ovulation or it's your period trying to start.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• ati- info funneled from my last ob (surgeon who snipped me)... you CAN ovulate without bleeding, esp while nursing. there are a lot of things that do happen, even if we have never heard of them. :) the wind is always blowing somewhere, even if we dont see it, kwim?

OP- i wouldn't be highly concerned, just keep some tampons around. no sooner than my sister gave me her supply post baby (she never got her period while nursing) it returned... lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• thanks, I'll just take some homeopathic cramping remedy my midwife gave me then and wait and see
    myownlilzoo

Answer by myownlilzoo at 6:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Obbiedobbie, you can ovulate before you bleed when you're nursing but you CANNOT be ovulating and not bleeding (or getting pregnant). That's not how your body works. If it ovulates it either HAS to get pregnant or it HAS to bleed. Seriously. OBs say that because they don't want you not using birth control because "I haven't had a period yet, therefore I can't be ovulating." That's true, but you can ovulate ONCE before you have a period.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009