Why do liberals only believe in free speech when it agree with their opinion?

They are trying to get Beck canned from Fox and Lou Dobbs from CNN. They want to bring back the fairness doctine though the back door By taxing privately owned radio stations at 100% and give the money to NPR and other stations that agree with them.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Right on!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• People could say the same thing about conservatives, really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think for being 'liberal' they are some narrow minded idiots out there on the left.(^^ included) Not one Conservative group that I know of called for Keith Olbermann to lose his job for his lies, 'dramatic' commentary and 'extreme' guests voicing their opinion... They looked at it as FREE SPEECH.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Everyone is entitled to free speech. I believe it is for everyone, even nuts like Beck and Limbaugh and even the Conservative Moms here. And I am a liberal. Smile! (But I am anonymous because some of the free speech here is hostile and I don't want to get any nasty e-mails with the "F" word sprinkled in with the message)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Mark Lloyd is a nut job. Read his book Prologue to a Farce: Communications and Democracy in America. In his book he makes some good points but he also goes a bit out there dissing Habermas, and siding with Marx and Foucault. It is an interesting book.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Considering that MOST of NPR's funding does NOT come from taxes that won't work very well. The bulk of NPR's support is from underwriting and pledges. (Remember, I work for an NPR station. Pledge drive coming up soon!)

The Fairness Doctrine won't EVER get resurrected. Broadcasters don't WANT it...it's too much of a pain in the butt and the National Association of Broadcasters will keep it DEAD. (By the way, the new President of NAB is former Senator Gordon H. Smith, Republican from Oregon. Fairness Doctrine is deader than Franco.)

Exactly how would they tax privately owned radio stations at 100%? Trying to figure that out, since stations don't collect sales tax on air time (no, they don't!) and only pay payroll taxes.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It is very rare for someone to have the confidence in their own convictions as to not feel threatened by opposing points of view. This goes for any ideology. You are always going to see people who are so afraid of other viewpoints that they want them silenced--that way, their own world view can never be challenged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It goes both ways. Neither side wants to be mature and stop fighting.
    Anonymous

• Adding to the above...I never want to see Glenn Beck canned UNLESS he actually is stupid enough to commit some act that gets FOX sued, stewed and tattooed...or puts them in hot water with the FCC. I'd say the same of ANY commentator. If you can't be smart enough to NOT commit slander or control your mouth on the air, then you deserve to be canned. (And as such...Ernie Anastos should be OUT for his f-bomb. I know I won't be eating a chicken dinner at his place!)

Answer by gdiamante at 6:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

Don't believe I posted ANYWHERE that they are taxpayer funded in my question.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009