What Book (not a sacred text) Would You Suggest Someone Read to Understand Your Beliefs?

ive been trying to learn more about other religions, but i dont have much to go by other than 2 big overview books. my dad has the sacred texts of all the major religions, so i dont need those. but i would like to know what book(s) you would suggest to someone if they were interested in learning more about your path. something that tells why your religion/belief is truth instead of what your belief/religion's truth is...does that make sense?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 6:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The book your church doesn't want you to read" edited by Tim Leedom.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Night by Elie Wiesel

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• www.religioustolerance.org
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, it will broaden your horizon.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Christianity and Buddism: the ground we share can't remember the author.

Umm, i can't think of any others at this moment which makes me mad because, well, I OWN several. I will look when I get home.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• There is not one book other than the Bible that contains all that I believe.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Anything by Martin Luther King and Billy Graham. I'm different religion but those strengths of character and humankind in those books transcend bibles.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• "Catholicism for Dummies" is an easy to read overview of the Catholic faith. The Catholic Catechism is more in depth (and a bit harder to read), but it's available free online.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• "The Miracle of Forgiveness", "The Infinite Atonement", and "Leap of Faith: Confronting the Origins of the Book of Mormon"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The Power of Myth is a great suggestion, in fact anything by Joseph Campbell. Also The World of Myth an Anthology by David Adams Leeming.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009