Need advice on staining wood

Ok, so I want to stain this dresser that I recently bought. It's like a honey pine I guess. Don't quote me on it because I know 0 about wood. I'd like to stain it a dark cherry. Is there any other method of figuring how dark of a stain I need to get the color I want besides trial and error?
Thanks in advance.

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• First make sure you use a wood sealer (it's a clear primer) before you apply any stain. It will keep the stain from going on blotchy.

As for color, the section that carries stains like Minwax usually have sample boards of different types of wood nearby that you can compare to. (Bring a drawer into the store) It will show what different stain colors look like on different types of wood.

When you stain, I'd go for a wipe on type. You can build up the depth of color by how long you leave it on before you wipe it off and also by adding more layers.

07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Go to home depot or Lowes or menards and ask the EXPERTS there about this. Those guys know about woods and stains and will be the best help you can get.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• 1st Replier is RIGHT ON!
    I recently stained a chest my dh made for me. I went to the store...went to the stain section, all the Minwax products were there plus samples of what the color looked like. I also DID apply the "Minwax Wood Conditioner" first. My daughter stained something and DIDN'T use the wood conditioner and she was disappointed with her table. You can do it. Sounds lovely...I wish I had something else to stain around here...LOL. I also applied to coats of Polyurethane on my chest for a shiny, shiny coat...I love how it turned out.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009