5 month old constipated

Hes already on Similac Sensitive. Im feeding him baby food and giving him juice - Doc said. I give him 1 fruit and 1 veggie a day. hes pooped twice today and it was HARD and he was crying. I feel so bad. What should i do?

jackee159

Asked by jackee159 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No bananas-they constipate.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• no bananas is good advice! pears ans pear juice is great for getting things moving
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• thanks i had given him bananas I have apple juice thatsit ill probaly get him pear juice. I have another pear food.
    jackee159

Answer by jackee159 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I give my DD spinach or yellow squash. I make it myself. This makes her poop 2-5 times a day. And they are always soft. As far as fruits go, pears are some of the best. Good luck.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Spinach is a vegetable with a lot of nitrate and should only be about 1/10 of the entire mash you are giving you little one at this age. Just wanted to let you know that, in case you decide to try the spinach.
    My daughter was a little constipated too, so now I make sure she doesn't have too much cereal, and more plain vegetables, pears are also good, and I always keep a mash-mix of prunes and pear in the freezer I can take out, and give her if she needs a little extra "help". I mix it with pears because the prunes can be kinda sour by themselves. Good Luck
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My son's poops were hard, though i don't think he is constipated. My aunt is a pediatric nurse and she said to give water. You should ask the doc first about giving water, but maybe it will help. My mother-in-law also told me that prunes do help "get things moving".
    - 07upsydaisy.....thanks, i haven't tried giving my son bananas yet and i didn't know they constipate. i will keep in mind! lol
    countrygirl7886

Answer by countrygirl7886 at 2:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2009