What do you think of our kids education now?

only one in four High school kids can name the first president. most can't name the three branches of government. People taking the required test for citizenship know more than our kids.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately, a school is not a school. Some are top notch with high standards and the test scores to match, others lack in all areas.

We sent our kids to private prep schools where they each received a wonderful education. This is 1 area where we refused to compromise-

Quite frankly, I do not personally know 1 high school kid who could not identify Washington's photo. I think my elementary school aged nephews would know the answer to that question.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• When my child grows up, I'll be sending her to our local Christian academy ( one of the best academic programs in the Florida panhandle. Public school is getting worse and worse every year.
    dakotaleann

Answer by dakotaleann at 7:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Quite frankly, I do not personally know 1 high school kid who could not identify Washington's photo. I think my elementary school aged nephews would know the answer to that question

Ask kids the question then. I have done it many times for several yrs and am appalled. Also me and a guy I worked with did it with ADULTS at work and we again appalled.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Can't say I have ever met a kid who can't name the first president. But it's no secret that many schools are failing. Heck, look at some of the questions asked here on CafeMom every day. Look at the grammar and spelling.

Personally, I have *no* complaints about my son's education.

Well....maybe one.

Algebra in FOURTH GRADE? I mean, really? Fourth grade?!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have none either. He is in private school. But I did when he was in public. Of course thats why he is in private.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Go sit and read your child's textbook. You will be surprised at how much history is left out, screwed, told to make the USA look bad, or just plain incorrect. Some of the blame has to be placed on the parents. You HAVE to be very involved in the textbook adoption committees and get the true history back into the school. Get rid of the ultra-liberal professors and teachers and get people who are more moderate so that the history is taught as a collection of facts instead of an opportunity to trash the USA.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I never had a problem with my kids education. They are all grown now with masters degrees. The importance of education starts at HOME.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• grandmarga: I rarely agree with anything you say; however, you are absolutely correct. Education starts at home.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• As a former teacher, I am glad my kid is home schooled.

Education in this country is just as bad as the PTB want it to be, in order to produce more docile workers for their dead end jobs, and to not see through the farce that passes for the 2-party system or the scam of the Federal Reserve. They don't want them too smart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I never had a problem with my kids education. They are all grown now with masters

Times have changed Grandmarga.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009