I think my Doctor called me FAT ...

I went to my appointment and first thing he said Ive gained to much weight. I have gained 23 pounds and Im 27 weeks pregnant. I have read when your BMI is below your regular you should gain 5 pounds more than recommended. I was 18 BMI plus below my regular weight. Now I think Im gaining to much :( I also felt real uncomfortable gaining weight, now that Im cool with it I find out Ive gained to much. I also read that 17-24 pounds gained is normal NOW IM NOT SURE :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Tell your doctor to screw it lol. With both of my pregnancies I gained well over the recommended weight. The first time I ate awful and was inactive so it was explainable, but the second time I ate healthy small portions and excersized daily. My doc mentioned trying to slow down my weight gain and I let him have it haha. In a nice respectable way of course. I said, EXCUSE ME? I am eating everything that I am supposed to and really trying hard not to gain too much weight, but no matter what I do I keep growing. I weigh 114 lbs right now and when I went into labor with my son (Second labor) I was over 200 lbs! YES OVER 200 LBS! I was HUGE!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 7:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Your doctor is a jackass. i gained 40+ pounds and all my doctors told me to do was just make sure i stayed healthy in my diet
    HaydensMama42

Answer by HaydensMama42 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I thought that you were supposed to gain up to 40 pounds. I always got praised if I gained even 1 pound at any visit. When I had my baby I had only gained about 10 - 11 pounds though. and she was 6 pounds!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you are of average weight 15-30 pounds is ideal. If you were overweight to start then you should not gain more than 15. Underweight to start 20-35 pounds. The more you gain the harder it is for your body to recover and it can complicate delivery. The problem that arises is how much did you weigh at your last check up?? If you had a significant gain in a short time you've either eaten alot of salt (which is bad) or you could have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. He didn't intend to call you "fat" just expressing his concerns over your gain. It is above normal for no further along than you are.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• your weight gain sounds fine to me. if you have 13 weeks left of pregnancy, and you gain 20 more lbs in those 13 weeks, that will be a total of 43 lbs gained. which for someone who was underweight to begin with, i think that is good. now i gained about 40 lbs while pregnant but i started out overweight so i probably should have gained less.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• ok i was only supposed to gain 15 pounds because i am over weigt....i gained 30 pounds......tell your doc to go f*ck a duck....i started out at 196 went to 226 and have lost all of it...my baby is only 1 month old....your fine.....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It looks like it depends on the care provider. It seems like doctors might be looking more for problems... I gained 65 pounds with my last and NO one even wanted to write my weight down~ they didn't ask me to even get on a scale, I just did it out of curiosity.
    They literally didn't see any point of recording my weight~ I ended up at 200 pounds.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• LOL My doctor once told me that I was "very efficient at storing calories".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Thank You Ladies I do eat Healthy, but theres days I will sneak off and have a burger or something sweet not everyday though. I have been pregnant 3 times and never gained more than 20 pounds this pregnancy Im always hungry I try to stick to veggies and salads and fruit. Im still hungry. I dont eat much meat, but bread , sweet bread is my weakness ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Be sure to drink plenty of water and get enough protein.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:07 PM on Sep. 18, 2009