Spending hours on the computer?

What can I do to keep my 16 yo old from being on the computer 24/7?? It is driving me nuts, because that is all she wants to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Why is it bothering you? Because he isn't doing anything active? Because you can't get any computer time? Because people tell you he shouldn't be on the computer so much? Knowing why you want to limit it will help. You can simply say off the computer by Xpm every day, or 2hrs per day on the computer, or for every hour you spend on the computer you must spend half-an-hour doing something active (anything active you want), depending on your motivation.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• deffinitly monitor that. if she has a myspace/facebook ask to see her pictures!!!! you dont want your daughter putting scandalous photos on the internet and trust me, most teenagers do!!
    HaydensMama42

Answer by HaydensMama42 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Is he playing games, or getting on various sites. I'll be honest and say that both my husband and I are computer people, at a very early age for the kids I started making rules like only 2 hours of computer time because although the television may never get used in our home the computers sure do.

Your child is older than mine, and I do sympathize. Here's a suggestion, if he feels he must spend that much time on the computer, make it educational at his age he can pick up lots of computer languages, the books are expensive but this gives him work skills he can use in the job force as a programmer. I'm not just suggesting website building or game creation type things either. Maybe he can take programming classes at the local community collage, this will get him out and teach him a skill in an area he shows interest. Sorry again haven't hit this with our kids yet.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Password the computer or use the parental controlls to only give her access to the internet when you want.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Password protect your computer and only let her on at certain times and set a timer. Mine spend maybe 30 min. a day on the computer, if that, so it's not an issue here. They're busy with school, sports and work and when they get home they might pop on to check email or their MySpace but only for a few minutes.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Believe me I have exactly the same problem. I don't really know what to do . He comes from school and goes straight to the computer. We don't talk so much any more because of this. We have been fighting so much because he really spends lots of hours playing that stupid game "call of duty"
    yianna671

Answer by yianna671 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• lol.....what do u do when it is yr hubby thast stays on the computer all the time ....just like what u all r talkin about but the game is called everquest2 ...i complain all the time it dont get me no where
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Sep. 21, 2009