What do you think about the whole Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy thing?

Me and my husband are thinking that we aren't going to do any of those. What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Holidays

• My son is 2 1/2 and does not believe in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc etc. We aren't Christian and don't celebrate Christmas or Easter (We're Pagan, so Yule and Ostara respectively) I don't want a fat man in a suit getting credit for the love and effort I put into getting him gifts. The Easter Bunny is just silly anyway.... why is a bunny hiding eggs? That he colored? What?? We hide eggs with little trinkets in them, but Adrian knows we do it. All those fictional characters have no real function, don't get me wrong my son has a wonderful imagination. I see telling him about Santa and the Easter Bunny as lying. When I found out they weren't real, I was devastated. Parents aren't supposed to lie to their children!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We don't do any of them. We celebrate holidays but we don't tell our kids that "santa" brought their presents. I don't think there is really a right way or a wrong way to do holidays when it comes to things like this, only what you agree on. If you don't want to do the santa and tooth fairy thing, then don't. It's your choice.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it either. I loved believing in fairy tales and mythical things as a child. I'm glad my parents didn't ruin it for me.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I agree....I always LOVED the excitement of believing in Santa and all them. I think it's great and helps children with their imagination.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 8:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I see no problem with it, but my husband doesn't agree. He just wants to tell ours that the presents are from mommy and daddy and whoever else, and that it is Jesus's birthday we are celebrating etc. We will explain that God has given us the blessing of these gifts. And they will know none of these are real, BUT we will make it clear that some other children will believe in them and not to spoil it for them because their mommies and daddies will tell them they aren't real later on... that santa etc are like cartoon characters, but Jesus was real. :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• We don't do them. There is no reason to lie to your kids over something like this. When they see them in books or on TV they are treated like any other character in a book or on TV. We never inforce that they could be real.

I have a friend who always told her kids this stuff was real. When her youngest lost her first tooth she told her to put it under her pillow before bed. The little girl freaked! She went from window to window to make sure they were locked. She was terrified that a stranger was going to come in to her room while she was asleep...

I don't think people understand how scary the idea of a stranger in the house is to kids. We believe if you are telling someone something you know not to be true, it's a lie... So, we don't lie to our kids! It's that simple. My kids do both Christian and Pagan Holidays becaues we are a muli-religious family and they don't ever hear this stuff as any more than a story.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I love holiday and would do them all. It really is part of the magic of childhood. You can't do those things when you're an adult and kids keep growing up faster and faster so why not let them have their time of make believe. It's not like they're going to believe in them forever. As it's age appropriate you can go into the history of holiday but while they're little just let them have fun.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i totally agree w/ mrsjonzy!!!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• We don't do them and not beacause of us. My daughter doesn't believe in them. She figured it all out when she was 4 and Santa's beard was crooked.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:29 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Don't do them. My name would explain why.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2009