How much time are you on the floor with your 1 year old?

I spend anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours a day. I don't know if that's enough or not. If i'm not on the floor, I'm usually on a chair or couch interacting with him. He's very independent and is happy playing with by himself. I just want to make sure I'm not delaying him in any way by not spending enough time with him on the floor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I spend very little time actually on the floor. If she wants me I usually pick her up. We do read a lot, but we sit in our rocking chair or on the couch.

I don't think you have to be on the floor with them in order for them to be getting good interaction.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I spend most of our day on the floor with her. She plays alone a lot of the time but if she needs me I am always right there or her father is right there with her if I am busy cleaning or whatever.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I play with her for 1.5-2 hours per day, but we spend all day together (I'm a sahm). So even when we're not playing together, we're still with each other all the time (except for when she's sleeping).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• When I am home (I work part time) we spend the better part of the day together. She is in her play yard while I am at the computer doing homework or studying and after our afternoon nap I let her have the run of the back of our house with limits. I close off rooms I don't want her in and I sit on the floor in our hall and she will play with me and bring me toys. This is about 2 hours sometimes more.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I forgot to add the my LO plays very well by herself and doesn't usually want to much interaction from us while she is playing alone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• im always on the floor 90% of my day,but my little one has been walking since 7months,so she goes everywere now shes 15months.i have always been on the flor with her.when i do sit on the coutch she gets up there and wants to jump around.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I read that you're concerned you may be delaying him. Do you mean delaying his milestones?? If so, what activities are you doing with him on the floor? Do you work on fine motor skills with him? If so, then are you modeling then guiding him? If your time on the floor is productive then GOOD JOB MOM! If you are concerned as to whether you're spending enough time with him? Sounds like you are.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I spend anywhere from 1-2 hours on the floor with my daughter usually she is playing with her 4 yr old brother so that helps but if she needs my attention i am always there. It sounds like you are doing just fine.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• hmm...time on the floor...ive never really thought about it. my DD is very independent & constantly moving so she rarely sits in one spot very long. she has free range of the house (almost) so she moves from one room to the other pretty frequently. we do sit for an hour to watch Sesame St together (its the highlight of her day haha). so prolly 2 hours or so.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009