My son is 12 months odl is it too young to start teaching him basic baby signing?

If not how do I start? any good books or sites? THank you!

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never to early. I would search on-line.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I started at 12 mos and about 3 wks later DS was signing milk and want. Now he signs almost 15 words (15mos) Everyday he picks up a new word. It's amazing. He doesn't talk yet but it's so nice to know what he's thinking. The first thing he does when he wakes up is sign for our dog and water LOL!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• not too early! We got baby signing books from walmart in the kids books area. Plus they have flash cards and such you can look at! As baby gets bigger I've gotten real sign language books and we have been improving out signing. She is now 22 mos, I started when she was 6 mos and she caught on to them when she was 13-14 mos. She knows a lot now but we can always add more!!! I don't have any specific books, you just get a american sign language book and work from there. gl!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It's actually later than most. But it's never too late!

Do not use "Baby signs" Use ASL. There is a difference, babies can learn ASL and it is a REAL language.

If you continue past single words, take a class. Sentence structure is totally different than English.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• go to your library and borrow a few videos/DVDs on ASL for babies or children. And as the others said... its never too early. I started my kids out at birth. But, I also have a hearing impaired child, so my kids started signing back around 8 months old. At 12 months old, your baby is more than capable of learning and using the ASL signs. Good Luck to you!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Not too early at all. We didn't meet our daughter until she was almost 14 months old and she had only been exposed to Mandarin until then. ASL was a great transitioning tool to English because it is conceptual. Now at 19 months, she has probably 20-25 signs and close to 50 spoken words. It's also been lots of fun to teach her!
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Not late at all :~) I started DD at 13 mos, and most of the kids in my class at daycare at signing at 12 mos. Almost all of them will sign "more." We also work on please, thank you, milk, ball, etc.

I actually ended up loving signing so much I am trying to learn to sign fluently. I picked up a great book and can't put it down! I know I'll never sign fluently not having anyone to communicate with by signing, but it will give me a great start.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i started at about 8 1/2 months. my son was signing milk by 9 mo and at 13 mo signs please, milk, eat, and sometimes more. i'm still working w/ him on more and going to start on thank you. i'm just doing the basics.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2009