Not hungry?! normal for breast feeding mom?

Im breast feeding my 6days old, and I have no appiate (sp) at all. I'm almost never hungry and when I do eat I feel so sick,like I'm going to puke it all up. I can't even eat a piece of bread! I have been taking my prentals, and I take extra iron for her since she is anemic. I also drink tons of water. But I just can't seem to eat anything. What can I do? I know I need to eat something since Im breast feeding,not sure what though

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to eat for YOU. Drink for baby.

I would reduce that extra iron and see if it helps you out. It's not really doing anything for her. Your milk will still have the same amount of more easily bioavailable iron, whether you take the iron or not.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• They want me to take iron b/c she is anemic
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Can you give her those iron drops? My childrens pediatritian gave a perscription for iron drops while i breastfed. I never really used them, but they were there if i needed them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i was supposed to take iron too but i didnt and baby was fine. its normal ,u get the same symptoms as being prego,its crazy. mabe try drinking those breakfest drinks u mix with ur milk
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I did not breastfeed but the loss of appetite is common after having a baby. Hormones everywhere, plus you just had a child come out of you....I only wanted chocolate (and most of the time still am like this) the first few weeks...and I have not gotten my full appetite back. I can't eat things i used to eat before pregnancy..I did feel more normal after the first month but its tough, and thats just one of the things. Loss of sleep can cause this as well.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Normally women who breastfeed are always hungry. Maybe it is the supplements you are taking that are giving you a loss of appetite? I'd definitely check into it.
    bfaith7

Answer by bfaith7 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• YOU Taking iron will NOT increase the iron that baby gets. Stop prenatals for a bit and see if that helps.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• "They want me to take iron b/c she is anemic "

I understand what you're saying...but it doesn't work that way. Your taking extra iron won't do a thing for HER...because your body already made the milk perfect. There won't be any added iron in your breastmilk because you're taking it. Supplements do not affect the nutritional content of your milk.

It only keeps YOUR iron stores from being depleted.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i was JUST like this!! i had NO appetite after i had my daughter for about...a month or so.. i ate because i had to but not too much but enough. it was weird.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2009