Why would Jesus show any lack of faith?

The last words of Jesus were: "God, Why have you forsaken me?"

In my mind to ask such a thing is a huge lack of faith, but if he was really the son of God, why would he have said this? I'm sure he would have known what was going to happen, he would have know he was sent here to die for our sins... So why the lack here? Or was it just weakness?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• He wouldn't it is out of character.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I could be wrong but I think I remember it being explained like this. At that time, he was a human so doubts could creep into him like they can any one of us.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Anon- He did! It's in the bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Because he did...why else
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• This is how I see it:

Christ (God the son, in human flesh) came to Earth to become sin. His death on the cross was the sacrfice needed to remove the stain of sin from humanity. Thus removing the seperation between man and God. (The veil was torn, in Biblical terms) He was fully God, yet fully man. So that he could feel as God feels (perfect love) and also feel as humans feel (the weakness and pain of the human body and emotions.) At the point of death, He fully became that sin, God being opposed to sin, turned away, thus he felt the seperation from God in that instant so that we would not have to ever again. Imagine being one with God since the beginning of time and then in one instant feeling completely cut off from that oneness? It must have been excruciating, even more so than the physical pain he endured.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I personally think its because where He was, emotionally, and the physical pain and all, He felt alone. No matter how well He understood His purpose, I'm sure it wasn't the easiest thing to do. The anguish and agony, both physically and emotionally of being up on that cross, the people mocking Him and the thought of Judas and Peter betraying Him (don't forget, Peter denied Him 3 times), and the other disciples acting as though they were scared to admit they knew Him, must have made Him feel lost and alone. No matter how well prepared you think you are for something like that, I'm sure it would get to you.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Just realized I didn't quite fully explain what I meant in my answer above.

"My God why hast thou forsaken me?" was not a display of faithlessness, it was a display of pain. A reaction from God turning away as Jesus' body took the the place of the sin of mankind. God being a righteous and perfect God could not look on such sin, so he turned away and Jesus cried out from the pain of it.

I should also explain what I meant by "the veil was torn". In the OT, only high priests could communicate with God, and those specificaly chosen by God. There were sacrfices that had to be made first, (attonement for sin). When Jesus died on the cross and said "It is finished" the veil (the division between the physical world and spirtual world) was torn so that for the first time, anyone who wanted to commune with God could freely do so. Christ became the sacrifice and he made it possible for us to directly approach God.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• He didn't have a lack of faith. God was unable to look upon him at the time he had taken on all the sin of all mankind. At this point, God had to look away. I always believed this to be Jesus thinking that God (his father) would keep his eyes on him, but that couldn't be. Jesus completed the task at hand with no faltering at all. If there was any, it was in the desert when he asked God to take the task from him, but he emerged strong and determined. He didn't have a lack of faith. You have to have faith to understand the reaction he had to God averting his eyes at the time Jesus was all sin which is the height of Jesus' passion. He endured God's wrath so that we could be saved through faith instead of works. I will NEVER question his faith or his actions.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Jesus wasn't showing a lack of faith he was referencing Psalm 22. ""My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" is the opening of that psalm and all the Jews present at the Crucifixion would have recognized that. Psalm 22 is a foreshadowing of Christ's crucifixion.

Here's an article on Psalm 22 that points out the foreshadowing.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Jesus questioned God before his arrest.

Matthew 26:39 "And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Mark 14:35-36 "And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt."

Remember that Christ was born of the Virgin Mary and *became man.* Susceptible to all our frailties, including doubt.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009