I feel like I'm torturing my little guy...

He is taking antibiotics for an ear infection plus has a cough and clogged nose. On top of that he is teething... we thing cutting molars. I put him to bed and he continues to scream and holler even though he won't eat or drink any more, he isn't wet, and I've given him all the meds possible. I feel HORRIBLE... and it isn't that he just isn't tired, he is rubbing his eyes and such. And I can only try to comfort him so long before all he wants to do is play with me and not go to bed or he won't let me rock him anymore. Since he usually goes to bed without a fuss, or much of it, I am allowing 15-20 mins for him to cry it out before I go in there, b/c if it is any longer I know something is up! Generally 10 minutes and he's alseep, but since he isn't feeling well I account for that. Anyone else go through this and just feel awful?!?!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes right now! My LO is cutting molars and has a cold. I give benadryl at bedtime so that I know her nose will be clear and she will sleep through the night. I have been giving it to her for the past few nights. Some people may not agree with me but if a child can't sleep they can't get better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• try giving him another bath even if he already had one,the warm water will help him alot.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I gave benadryl to mine when he wasn't sleeping well because of being sick. If you can't do that give him tylonal or motrin. I hope he feels better, you too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Try Vic on his chest & under his nose, it will help him breathe. Also if you can put him at an angle like sleeping on a hospital bed, his sinuses won't run back down his throat. This will also help his cough. Also people may not agree, but it worked wonders for us. My husband got a shot of bourban. He put his finger in the glass & rubbed it on my son's bottom gum. He repeated for the top gum. Then my husband drank the shot. It really helped.

Also when you go back into your son's room to comfort him, don't pick him up. this way he won't get the idea he can play. Just rub his back and tell him soothing words, and leave again. You can do this every 10 min until he falls asleep.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• How long has he been on the antibiotic? If it is 48 hours or more it is most likely not easing the infection. Children with ear infections can not lay down, it hurts and that is probably why he is crying so much. I would call the doctor.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 11:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• His little ears hurt when you lay him down. Give him tylenol 30-60 minutes before bedtime and it'll be much easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• DO NOT PUT VICKS UNDER HIS NOSE!!! READ THE CONTAINER IT SAYS NEVER TO DO THAT! PLUS MAKE SURE IT IS BABY VICKS! THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE! I'm a medical assistant and have worked with babies b4 and any dr would also tell u not to put it under their nose
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 12:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009