ways to punish your child

my 6 year old has recently been in a lot of trouble at school and we need ideas on effective punishment. We've taken away all of his toys and all that is left in his room are books. any ideas on this or ways you punish your child would be helpful. We aren't opposed to spanking but we feel there has to be other alternatives also.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when i babysit my nephews and they do something bad i make them write 10 times on a peice of paper "I will not do ______ anymore" for what ever they did by my 3 year old thinks that is fun and makes me write I love Mom or something like that and she copies it 3 times lol
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Um. ...well, punishment sounds physical. so if you are trying to stay away from spanking you might try asking good ways to discipline your child.

But i think it depends on what he's getting in trouble for.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you're going to take the suggestion above my first response (which isnt a bad idea) it might work better if you turned it into a positive sentence such as "I WILL respect my teacher". or "I WILL use gentle hands" ...or whatever is the positive alternative to the negative action he has been doing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have never tried this method myself, but I have heard it works really well. Give him a jar of quarters, maybe 20, and explain to him that they are his, but if he misbehaves you will take one quarter away every time. If he does anything good, he gets a quarter in the jar. I really think this would work on my 7 year old daughter, since she is very cautious with her money and always saves it for the good toys. So if your boy is like that, then this should work. Especially if you talk to him about a special thing he might want to buy, and could save up for with his quarters. The punishment I use, is usually tv and computer time taken away. That has worked so far for us.
    I also, do not believe in spanking my children and I applaud you for trying to find others ways to discipline your son. Good for you!
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• is the things going on at school ONLY happening at school? if so maybe sit down with your child and the school councelor and figure out if there is something else going on...i know one of my friends had a son that had trouble focusing...the ped told her to have her son chew gum in class....seemed strange to me but i guess its working!! she would know more but its something to do with the chewing keeps him focused....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Does you son like to watch TV take TV time oway from him
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It really depends on what he did at school, the entire situation. Maybe something is going on at school and he doesn't know how to handle it, so he is acting out. Maybe he has a learning or behavioral disorder that needs to be treated. Talk to the teacher about what is going on in the classroom, if she or her notices anything out of the ordinary or that they feel should be looked at. Whatever he did, he does need to apologize to his teacher for his behavior. Talk to the school counselor about what you can do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• On becoming baby wise had several books that go through different ages. Very appropriate suggestions. I highly recommended this series. Also a technique I read about and used was "sapping my energy". Whenever the kids were warned and kept up I would complain that they were sapping my energy. To pay me back for this, they were assigned a chore. Washing walls, wiping up the floor, etc. My kids hated to sap my energy. good Luck.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• In addition to punishment/consequences for bad behavior, make sure to point out and reward good behavior. If the only way your child gets attention is by doing something wrong, he'll keep doing things wrong. Talk to him and see if you can figure out why he's doing what he's doing. Is there a problem with a specific person/people? Is he frustrated by something? Is he bored or scared? If it's situational you can role play different situations. Maybe teach him what to do if he's feeling frustrated or bored (rather than acting out). Reward charts sometimes work too.

The thing is - these are all time consuming and take effort on your part and on the child's part. It'll require you to be consistant and follow-thru, but should be helpful if you can do that.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I would say that getting into trouble at school warrants no tv time. (It's not good for him anyway, everyone could use a little less tv time).

But you should also talk to him about WHY he's getting into trouble at school. See if you can get to the root of the problem and resolve it rather than just punish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009