How do you know when to go to the hospital?

I am almost 37 weeks pregnant and i think i have been having contractions, i have a ton of lower back pain and that is where most of the pain is i have some in my lower stomach but mostly in my back and they pain is always there. I do get some sharp pains but im not sure if these are contractions that have moved to my back or what. I was feeling them in my lower stomach about every 5-7mins and then today i felt them this morning and now i can only really feel pain in my back. I know its kind of stupid but this is my first and i really have no idea. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go and get checked. Call your doctor and have them meet you there that is how I was right before I had my DD. A lot of back pain.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• It's sounds like back labor, i would get checked out. Better safe than sorry, the worst they can do is send you home. Good luck
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You might be in labor. If you have contractions ANYWHERE in the front or rear of your abdomen, including pains near your back, and they are consistent and getting longer, stronger, and closer together, you're probably in labor. If your contractions are 5-6 min apart and regular, or if your water breaks ( not your mucus plug ) call your doctor first, then they will probably tell you to come to the hospital. With the contractions it is tricky to tell when to go...but if your water breaks, that will only result in delivery. Good luck!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:29 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You'll know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i have heard the rule of 411. contractions 4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour. gl! :)

probably what you are experiencing now will go on and off for the next few weeks, but maybe not, maybe your real labor will start soon :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• With my daughter, my contractions weren't regular. I felt like you did. I called and said they;d be 2 min apart, then 10 min, etc. and I felt terrible. They told me to come in so I did. I got there at 5am, and she was born at 1pm. As other mothers have said, if it isn't time, they will send you home.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• So are you saying you're not having anything come & go anymore? Is it constant?

It's not stupid~ we all wonder when we're expected to make huge decisions based on something we've never done before and aren't sure about.

Who is with you to help?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2009