What are the pro's/con's of circumcision?

I don't plan of circumcising my little man. I personally feel it's unnecessary. Plus, his daddy wants him to "match", Lol. But I wanted to know, are there any good things about doing it/not doing it?

MommyToBe1023

Asked by MommyToBe1023 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't think of too many pros for getting it done. I did not not get my daughters' labias cut off so I could clean them better or to prevent bacteria and shmegma from growing. I think it should be left up to the person who is being cut. If he cannot consent to altering his genitals, then nobody else should impose that belief based on what they think a penis should look like or because it's "easier" for the caregiver to clean. Honestly, how long do people plan on cleaning their sons' penises?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I do not think that there are any pro's to circumcising. ...but that's JMO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think that depends on who you ask. I personally think that there are no pro's or con's either way. My son was circumcised and had no problems. There are a few children who are circumcised who do have problems after the procedure and there are a few boys who are uncircumcised that have problems with their foreskin. It's six to one half a dozen to another. Completely personal preference.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i remember asking BOTH a midwife and a doc about what the pros and cons were when i was preggie with my second child...and BOTH said the same thing...there isnt really any significance besides looks...they said that most people think that boys that arent circumsized get more bladder infection...but new studies are showing there is only a 1% difference.....they said as long as you show them how to wipe and clean correctly they will most likely never have any problems...so in the end...it comes down with...what you want...not what is best...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Those studies saying a 1% difference aren't new any more. They've been around over 6 years.

This is the wrong place to ask your question, OP. If you really want to know, do some simple research. Things here get too heated and opinionated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't see any "pro"s, though many believe it is cleaner, and easier somehow.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I didn't want to circumcise my son, now 17, as I had heard it was unnecessary. I do know that if the boy isn't circumcised and gets an infection, it hurts a lot more to do it when he is older. My friends son had this happen at age 9. I ended up agreeing as my husband wanted him to match the other boys in the locker room.

If you don/t make sure he understands how to keep it clean when he is older, and I am sure he won't have any problems.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• There is a higher risk of gonorrhea and inflammation of the urethra (the tube that carries the urine from the bladder outside) in uncircumcised men. It has also been reported that other sexually-transmitted diseases (such as chancroid, syphilis, human papillomavirus, and herpes simplex virus type 2 infection) are more frequent in uncircumcised men. As mentioned above, most recently three large studies performed in Africa documented that circumcision was protective with respect to the acquisition of HIV infection as compared to those uncircumcised subjects.

Source:  http://www.medicinenet.com/circumcision_the_medical_pros_and_cons/page4.htm#STD

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I did not have my son circumcised after birth and did everything the doc told me to do and the foreskin still adhhered (got stuck) to the top of his penis. At the age of 3 he had to have a circumcision and to this day he remembers it. In fact, when he was 5 we were in the bank and the doc who did the circumcision walked in and my son yells out, "Look mommy, it's my penis doctor". The doc was great, he said, "That's what I do for a living".
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 11:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well I had daughters but my daughters has had sons.... they were both circumcised. My fil highly recommended it because he wasn't. If a man who wasn't circumsiced thinks it is best to have it done then I would say he is talking from experience. When the grandsons had it done it was the new ring that takes about a week to do it. There was little to no pain, or at least he wasn't fussy about it. I would recommend it because when they are newborn they will never remember it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009