Should I talk to my 14 year olds football coach if he isn't getting hardly any playing time at the games?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• no. usually theres a reason they arent being played. i dont want to sound mean but, they want to win the game..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• On one hand I say yes because it is not fair to pick the same players continuously and not give others a chance. On the other hand I say no because it may not change anything and your son may get picked on because his mommy complained to coach. Also, at that age the game is more of a game to win and if your son isn't the best player, he prob won't be put in until the end of a game, if at all.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• no. ask your son why he isnt played more, see if he needs to work harder during practice or HE needs to talk to the coach.. see if someone can help him practice/ get better at his position..
    Unless something is really bad or going wrong like plain out favoritism or whatever i would stay out of it because it could make things bad on your son..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Let your son handle it.....if he's even interested in doing so.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• No. I have been a football mom since my oldest son was 8 years old and he's now 23. All 4 played Pee Wee, all 4 played Junior High and my older 2 played JV/Varsity fb and my younger 2 are currently seniors who have been on the team all through high school. I am going to guess that he's a Freshman? If so, this year is a learning experience for him. A 9th grader cannot usually walk out on to the Varsity field and play with the big boys, no matter how good us parents think they are. If there's a JV team and he goes to a big school the odds are that there are players who just happen to be better. Football isn't about sparing the feelings of a player, not everyone is going to play, some kids will never play. There are PLENTY of college kids and even NFL players who NEVER play. Such is life. Momma's can't get involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son has been playing since he was 8 or so. He is now a senior and just getting to start. I always wanted to talk to the coachs but never did. However, he may not have been the best player all these years he was the player on the side lines who always rallyed the boys. They say in the locker room he is the heart of the team. So leave it up to your son because he knows why he isn't getting more play time.
    vancarsmom

Answer by vancarsmom at 9:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Absoultely NOT. Let him take care of it. This is something he needs to take care of and mom needs to stay out of. If you do so, you will cause him a lot of embarrassment. There is usually a reason some kids don't get as much playing time as others. Yeah, I would really stay out of it and let your son take care of things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• That depends. If it is a school team, absolutely not. You'll only embaress your son, and become known as "That mom" which will do him no favors. In middle school, the coaches are expected to develop the players that will play Varsity ball in High School. In high school they are expected to win games. My son, who played both offense and defense and all the special teams didn't get to play the position he wanted most but he's an awesome player and the coach did his best to work with him in the positions he felt he was most suited to. If it's a private youth league where you pay to play, then yes. But nicely, these coaches are almost always volunteers!
    INKat

Answer by INKat at 1:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2009