Do you believe in MIND OVER MATTER?

Do you think human beings may be able to exert an observable influence upon the physical world -- simply through the power of conscious intention; or unconscious intention?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• to a degree. You always hear of miraculous things happening that a normal person wouldnt normally be able to do. For example lifting cars off of people or doing other very strong things or things that would normally harm a person. But once the adrenaline kicks in nothing can stop them.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes. What do you think the power of prayer is?
    Of course, i think there is more detail to it then just "i believed it could happen so it did". ..
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I actually think prayer is not a god answering or doing anything, but the power those individuals are manipulating through themselves simply by  believing  something is happening- I think THEY are the ones doing the miracles!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I believe in GOD!!!
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• and how does that answer the question Katty?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Absolutely!. Scientists have proven the act of observing actually changes the results. Scientists have also proven that prayer does actually have measurable results. If you concentrate and expect good things to happen, they will. If you focus on bad things, they happen. Concerning miracles, that is why God put us on earth...to be his instruments.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 9:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I believe that my mind is fully capable of manipulating energy. So to answer your question yes. Some things may take more energy than I'm capable of wielding, but with practice and determination its possible.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I do, I have faith in God and pray to him. I have the faith that he will guide my life in the direction he wants it to go. But I have moved objects in anger too, not meaning too lol. I threw an eraser across the room at a classmate I was angry at. But I know that wasn't of God. So yes I do, as long as I have faith enough anything is possable :) God bless !
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:55 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Involving the mind and the mind alone? No. I do not.

When prayer actually changes something, I believe that it is because God interviened and caused the change. The human mind had no power on it's own to manipulate time and space out of sheer will. An intervention due to the urging of their prayers might have caused God to oblige but it was God who made the change.

In other cases, I believe it is a matter of perception. Nothing has changed, they've only tricked themselves into thinking it has.

In other cases, I would also attribute it to self-fulfilling prophecy. I wouldn't rule out psychosomaticism or the placebo effect either.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Yes, I did NOT touch that eraser, but I thought har about it lol. Next thing I know there's an ow and I'm in trouble. But all the kids agreed I didn't throw it, it just ended up there LOLZ
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2009