what do you do when you have an overbaring mother in-law and your hubby is todally a moms boy

my husband thretens to divorce me if i don' t let his family see our 10 month old daughter. the truth is i can't stand my in- laws one bit it seem to me that my mother in law is always telling me her thought on partening. i'm about to have a frekin nervos break down at any ti e with all of this stress. i wush he could see things from my point. like for instants this whole h1n1 thing i don't want my daughter around alot of people until she has the vac for it but no my hbby thinks i'm to overly procted of her. what do you ladies think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I think we're married to the same man. You're not getting very good advice from some of the PP's but ignore them. Your MIL doesn't know everything, your DH will be shooting himself in the foot if he divorces you because his mommy and his wife don't get along. Can you imagine him telling a judge something to that effect? If they disrespect you, that is not good for your child so how they treat you is related to whether or not they see your child. You're not being overprotective about disease either. Babies don't need to get the flu just because his family thinks this is still the Dark Ages. Hang in there. I deal with the same crap every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You must have known he was a mamma's boy before you married him. With in-laws you just grin and deal with them. For the sake of your marriage and your DH's happiness. Just be nice to them and let them see their grandchild.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• RUN!!! Oh wait you already married him; beats me thats going to be a hard wall to break down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think you and your hubby need to come to a compromise. If your in laws are disrespectful to you then your hubby needs to call them on it. If they are just being annoying and giving you advice then welcome to the world of being a daughter in law. I should send you my key chain it says, "there are some people in this world that think you can do no wrong and there are some people in this world that think you can't ever do anything right and they are called your in laws". It's true, while it may be annoying just take the advice you want and ignore the rest. Don't fight over every little thing.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If your mil wants to see baby she can come to your house, she doesn't need to take baby with her. I know what you mean about hating it when people tell you how to be a parent but she'll walk out of your house and you'll know that nothing she said made a difference. As for your husband threatening to divorce you; that's a little extreme. He should respect your wishes as well since it's both of your alls baby. Compromise by letting her come over every now and then. If he doesn't want to do that tell him that he can go ahead and divorce you and we can wait until every other weekend to see his baby along with his mother. Even if you won't I feel like if he is going to threaten you, you shouldn't sit by and be the one being pushed. Push back because it's not right.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think you're overprotective. Also....what does the in-laws being over-bearing have to do with them being grandparents? Don't you want your child to know Grandma and Grandpa? Sometimes you have to put your own self aside and do for your child.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009