I want to lose weight but having IBS makes it a little harder..... Plus as we all are, we are busy moms that don't have time to cook super gourmet time consuming meals!

I can't eat eggs or milk in the morning and sometimes afternoon if I work b/c it gives me stomach issues. I also heard the coffee speeds up matabolism and that gives me problems in the am too. What low fat protein can I have at breakfast to keep me going until my mid day snack? I am basically going breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner. then nothing after 630. lots of water. i know lots of fiber and vegies, etc, but what can i do that doesn't require a lot of cooking and isn't super expensive? THANKS!!!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Health

• I have IBS and lost 30 pounds in about 4 months. It wasn't that hard. Stay away from fast food and ALL soda including diet. Drink lots of water or iced tea (unsweetened). Eat a high fiber, low fat diet. (It helps the IBS too). Instead of regular milk, get the Lactose free milk...I drink the "skim" one. Exercise too. With IBS, you just need to know what your triggers are and avoid them as much as possible. I love cheese and ice cream but can't eat it more than about once a week or I have major stomach problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Eat breakfast high in fiber and add nuts if you can eat them that will give you the protein. You didn't mention what you eat for snacks but you can always snack on fresh fruits or veggies.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• *******I want to try to steer clear from nuts and peanut butter b/c they are high in fat. I already have an idea of what to do for nuts. I know turkey bacon at breakfast would be ok... but what else?!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• That's true but the key is that they keep you fuller longer so you don't over eat and it gives you more energy. I drink a special k protein water in the morning because I hate eating in the am.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Fat is not bad for you. fat causes a zero insulin response. the production of insulin is what makes you gain weight. I would suggest breakfast bars, but they are expensive. It is a shame you can't have eggs, they are really a perfect food. You can try a sausage patty. 10 black olives make a great snack. & 1/2 avocado a day is also a great snack. Yes it is high in fat, but that makes you fuller longer. Also celery w/cream cheese is a wonderful snack. Cheese is a great food (not the one slice in plastic wrap). Cheese sticks or cheese slices are wonderful sources of protein.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 9:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009