How is it ok to pray to mother earth in schools, but not God?

My SD is going to a new ( to her) charter school that seems very cool in a lot of ways. But she mentioned last night that before lunch, they say a "prayer" to mother earth, thanking her for blessing them with food. How is this ok? I mean, I'm Christian, but I'm not like a hardcore fundamentalist. I don't judge or impose belfiefs on others and I understand why we don't allow prayer in schools, although I think the extent that they take it sometimes gets ridiculous. But how is it ok to pray to pagan gods, but not the Christian one? Are they protecting freedom of religion or just oppressing Christians? Just curious what the general opinion is...

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think it is. As a pagan, I don't want my kids being told to pray to Jesus, and that teacher shouldn't be telling the kids to PRAY to anyone. It may have been her way of trying to sneak prayer time in to school though. But I would let her know you don't agree.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• hmm...id have to have more info, but its sounds fishy. i thought ALL group prayer was against the rules...no matter who was being prayed to.

maybe they dont see it as a prayer? but just a quick thanksgiving? i dunno that seems like its crossing the line. a while back there was a teacher who got in trouble for leading a group prayer for teachers b/c some students overheard it. so i would think this is wrong too.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• We had a teacher fired last year from our district for that exact same thing. Pray is not allowed. Period. They can give the kids a moment of silence and those who wish to pray to whom or whatever may. I would certainly be voicing concern.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Uh, prayer is NOT allowed to any God in schools, unless it is a private school. I would definitely ask the teacher and ask if it was a "prayer". If it was then I would remind her that no sort of prayer is allowed at any school because that gives precedence to one religion over another.   Make sure to speak to the teacher in question before taking it up with the school board. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The earth is a Pagan god? I thought it was just the big rock we're standing on which DOES provide us with food...which we take for granted. I don't get why it's so evil to revere the earth, the sun, the moon, etc. If you are Christian, then you believe God created them, correct? And as far as I'm concerned, they make a heck of a lot more sense if you're going to worship something...after all, you can SEE them and they DO have real impact on your life!

Anyways, I don't think the teacher was necessarily praying to an actual god. She probably thought it would be MORE appropriate to thank the earth because everyone believes in the earth.....hopefully.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• OP the Earth is not, I repeat, not a pagan god. Just ask the teacher what they were implying instead of assuming that they were being led in prayer to the earth.
    In my mind maybe now you understand the frustration of families who are not christian. I have been through school functions led by Christian prayers. At least no one was handing her religious text at lunch time. These sort of things still happen in many schools in the south to this day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well, if they pray to anything at all, then they HAVE to allow Christian prayer. They HAVE to give equal time to all religions. That has been upheld by the Supreme Court. We studied this in School Law when I got my masters. You have a foot in the door for prayer if you want it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• contact ACLJ.com or LC.com
    that is creepy and wrong!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i agree with Sabrina.
    It's not okay.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Oh ...and yes the earth CAN BE CONSIDERED a Pagan Goddess! She is who has created life. We all grow from the Goddess and are nurtured by Her.

...but not all Pagans are going to worship Mother Earth. ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2009